Question for online poker players. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Question for online poker players.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:38 pm

JetSet's freerolls do own
I just don't really like how is eems like the bad hands win 80% of the time, or the fact that it intentionally serves up bad beats to people.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:46 pm

BigLebowski wrote:I play at Pokerroom.com....the game is much better than Party Poker and those are the only two I have played at.....Pokerroom.com allows you to play without a download as well.

You play for real money or play money? What's your id on there? I'm currently working on clearing my sign-up bonus there.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:48 pm

bleach168 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I'm not playing for real money yet. I'm working my way up with freerolls. So far I made $6! Woooooooo! lol. I like PartyPoker's setup but they don't have any freerolls. However, I hear that's the best place to play for real money because lots of idiots there.

PokerStars has some huge freerolls but they are really stingy with the prize money.

And thanks for the pokersource.com tip. I'll remember that.

Also, I know there is a big jump from play money to real money. How big is the jump from high end freeroll gaming (like top 10%) to real money?

Any other sites worth mentioning?

I just got finished with a play money tourney at pokerstars.com, (I'm a broke college kid who has decided to not play for money online after finishing slightly ahead in 1 attempt) and I have to give it another thumbs up ;-D . A lot of loose players at first, but once you get to the final few hundred, the competition is actually fairly good. While getting "paid" in play chips, something about finishing 2nd out of 2200 participants is wholly fullfilling. :-D

Kind of takes the sting away from drafting Ryan Dempster last week. :~(
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby PhilliesPhan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:32 am

Lofunzo wrote:I am really getting sick of the free games. :-[ Last night, for the first time in a while, I played on PokerStars. For some time, there were 5 of us who I felt were good players. Almost seemed like just a normal game. Then, in came the idiots that need to go all-in pre-flop on every hand just because it's play money. I hate that stuff.

I play every Friday and/or Saturday with my friends in person, but I simply don't trust playing online for real money.
However I still like to play for fun online.

Do any of these sites allow you to set up a private table for "play" money so that you can control who sits at your table?
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:11 pm

PhilliesPhan wrote:I play every Friday and/or Saturday with my friends in person, but I simply don't trust playing online for real money.
However I still like to play for fun online.

Do any of these sites allow you to set up a private table for "play" money so that you can control who sits at your table?

I know Party allows players to set up private tables, but I'm not sure if it can be done with the toy chips or not. :-?

What's not to trust with real money? The site makes money raking the pots, so it makes no difference to them who wins. They get their percentage no matter what. Also, they are checked, checked again, and checked again, buy the certification companies. Be crazy for them to cheat and drive away all their business. I've made and continue to make a healthy profit from playing for real money online. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby PhilliesPhan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:26 pm

Madison wrote:What's not to trust with real money? The site makes money raking the pots, so it makes no difference to them who wins. They get their percentage no matter what. Also, they are checked, checked again, and checked again, buy the certification companies. Be crazy for them to cheat and drive away all their business. I've made and continue to make a healthy profit from playing for real money online. :-)

It just appears that all too often cards that shouldn't even be played wind up winning...this would increase the pot size since more people would stay and chase and thus it would increase their take.
Also there is nothing (to the best of my knowledge) to stop a person from opening multiple accounts and use a KVM Port Switch (which would allow several computers to run at the same time off of one monitor and keyboard/mouse) to play multiple hands at a table or simply join a table with a few friends and know what each other has and simply not bet against each other.
I'll stick with the deck of cards I can touch and players I can see.
PhilliesPhan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:38 pm

PhilliesPhan wrote:It just appears that all too often cards that shouldn't even be played wind up winning...this would increase the pot size since more people would stay and chase and thus it would increase their take.

Part of that is simply because quite a few hands are not favorites by as much as people think. The biggest reason it seems that way is because you easily play 3 times the amount of hands online as you do in person in the same amount of time. Example, live, you play around 20 hands per hour. Online, it's easily 50 an hour and as many as 75+ per hour. The bad beats are still at the same percentages, they just seem to hit more often because you're playing so many hands and not really realizing it. Also, bad beats stick out in your brain, where as regular wins do not. There are a few programs you can download that will track all your hands and show the percentages. In the long run, the better hands hold up right at the percentages they should. ;-)

PhilliesPhan wrote:Also there is nothing (to the best of my knowledge) to stop a person from opening multiple accounts and use a KVM Port Switch (which would allow several computers to run at the same time off of one monitor and keyboard/mouse) to play multiple hands at a table or simply join a table with a few friends and know what each other has and simply not bet against each other.
I'll stick with the deck of cards I can touch and players I can see.

All the poker sites track IP address. My wife and I both have accounts with Pokerstars and we play at the same time thanks to a router. Here's the catch. We can not play at the same table or the same sit and go. The system auto blocks the second player from registering. We can play the same multitable tourney, but we have yet to run into each other on the same table. Probably the closest we got was a $5+$1 with over 1,000 people and we both reached the final 50 or so. Never did run into each other.

Not only do they trace IP, they also watch the playing patterns. Every game dealt is downloaded into their database and analyzed. If they even so much as suspect that two people are working together, they will not allow those two to play at the same table anymore.

To go even further, they also track transfers of money. Two people who are constantly sending money back and forth are not allowed to play with each other.

There are tons of safeguards for making it safe. Do a few get away with it temporarily? Sure. Is it everywhere you turn? No way.

I prefer live games as well, but seeing as how gambling is illegal in Texas, online is the only way for me to be able to play on a daily basis. I do make quite a few trips to Shreveport though, and now that Oklahoma has legalized table games, I have a closer option. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Previous

Return to General Talk