Question for online poker players. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Question for online poker players.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question for online poker players.

Postby bleach168 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:29 am

Where do you play and what makes it a good place? Also, which places should I avoid?

There are so many choices out there that I don't know where to begin.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 51)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:32 am

I play at PokerStars but have also heard good things about PartyPoker. Are you playing for real $$?? If so, then check out their ways of doing business. Nothing like winning some $$ and then waiting a week for your $$.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby pokerplaya » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:29 am

I've played at Party Poker before, and if you register through pokersource.com, they give you pretty good signup gifts (chip sets, etc.). Right now, I'm trying to save some money, so I'm only playing freerolls online, and I reccommend pokerstars above all others. They have a ton of free tourneys, and they are good if you want to gamble with real money as well.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby so0perspam » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:11 am

PokerStars owns.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Baseballer02 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:44 am

Easiest games are at Party Poker and it's affilliates.
Baseballer02
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby bleach168 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:05 am

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not playing for real money yet. I'm working my way up with freerolls. So far I made $6! Woooooooo! lol. I like PartyPoker's setup but they don't have any freerolls. However, I hear that's the best place to play for real money because lots of idiots there.

PokerStars has some huge freerolls but they are really stingy with the prize money.

And thanks for the pokersource.com tip. I'll remember that.

Also, I know there is a big jump from play money to real money. How big is the jump from high end freeroll gaming (like top 10%) to real money?

Any other sites worth mentioning?
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 51)

Postby perlick29 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:18 am

bleach168 wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I'm not playing for real money yet. I'm working my way up with freerolls. So far I made $6! Woooooooo! lol. I like PartyPoker's setup but they don't have any freerolls. However, I hear that's the best place to play for real money because lots of idiots there.

PokerStars has some huge freerolls but they are really stingy with the prize money.

And thanks for the pokersource.com tip. I'll remember that.

Also, I know there is a big jump from play money to real money. How big is the jump from high end freeroll gaming (like top 10%) to real money?

Any other sites worth mentioning?

I'm a player at PartyPoker. There are freerolls at Partypoker (PP) but you have to have a real money account first. The jump is big from play to real although people at the .50-1.00 level, 1-2, and 2-4 level still tend be very loose. If you plan on playing in tournaments, the jump is not that big until you start playing in higher limit tourneys

Hope that helps, look me up any time, I'm usually at the 3-6 limit BadBeatJackpot, a great feature on PartyPoker I'll give you any help you need or even sit with you at tables. ;-D

EDIT: forgot about the cashout thing thanks DHC. If you use IGMchecks, the first option, then then the first time you cashout, Partypoker will call you up to make sure all your info is confirmed. You'll have the money in 2-3 days. Everytime you cashout after that it will go right into your checking account in 1-2days.
Last edited by perlick29 on Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:21 am

I play at Bodog...their poker rooms are not as good as some of the others mentioned...but I do a lot of sports betting and I do like their betting system....they do payout pretty quick too...usually deposited in your account in less than 36 hours... :-)

As far as jumping from freerolls to actual gambling...when your comfortable with your game...just go for it...I have found that playing poker is more playing yourself than other people...I have heard it described as "playing your opponent"...but I find, for me anyway, that it is alot easier for me to win if I don't try and figure out other people...just go with the odds and know your game and stay in it... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:48 am

bleach168 wrote:And thanks for the pokersource.com tip. I'll remember that.

It's actually Pokersourceonline.com, but definitely remember that. ;-D PSO is great and the bonus prizes are fantastic for simply doing what you want to do anyway. I've cleared a 500 piece chipset, a 300 piece chipset, $275 in American Express giftcards, and I've still got over $160 in my PSO account. All of it free for simply playing poker. Can't beat that. :-) If you want a referral for them, just put Madison in the referrer box when you register. Any questions at all about them, feel free to ask me. :-)

Ok, I play online every day for real money and have turned profit at every single site I've played at, so here's my breakdown:

Pokerstars

Pros---The software is unmatched, constant tourneys going, quick and easy cashouts. Solid opponents help teach you how to be a better player.

Cons---The toughest opponents on the net. Freerolls are not worth playing. Rewards system is pretty worthless too (FFP's don't rack up nearly fast enough to really make them worth anything).

Overall---My favorite place to play. Software is great and I can always find a full game. I also prefer to play with players instead of newbies.

Partypoker

Pros----Lots and lots of newbies with no clue. Makes for very big pots. Software is a touch slow for tourney and sit and go play, but serviceable on the overall. Monthly reload bonuses that are easy to clear the requirements for. Cashouts are relatively quick.

Cons----Huge swings in bankroll due to the idiot factor. When you've got 5 chasers every hand when none of them should have even been involved in the hand, one of them is bound to get lucky. The rake is high (50 cents on a $5 pot).

Overall---I still play there, but not much due to the crazies there. I'm a grinder and prefer to get up ahead from every table I sit down at. At Party, the swings are just too big for my liking.

Pacific Poker

Pros----A good mix of fish and players. Games are very profitable. Just recently introduced no limit, so very soft no limit games since a lot of their players don't realize how big the difference in Limit and No Limit are. Good profits there.

Cons----Software stinks. Disconnects are frequent. Rake is high (50 cents on a $5 pot). Recently they started raking uncalled bets too. For example, the pot is $4. You bet $1. Everyone else folds. Most sites give you your $1 bet back since it was uncalled, plus the $4 pot ($4 pots do not get raked). Pacific has started raking that bet. $4 pot + $1 uncalled bet = $5 pot, so they rake 50 cents. Bonus structure is terrible. Every $10 you wager into raked hands nets you a penny. Bonus money is tough to clear as well. Cashouts take forever too. About 4 days using Neteller.

Overall----I used to play there daily and made some very good money. Once the new higher rakes and the uncalled bet rakes came into play, I basically stopped playing there. Between the site taking too much of the money and the terrible software, it just wasn't worth it.

The Gaming Club

Pros-----Good software. Good mix of fish and players. Tougher than Party and Pacific, but not as tough as Stars. Bonus structure is good and not too tough to clear. Solid play nets solid profits there.

Cons----Mostly solid players, so not a site where you'll get rich quick. Cashouts take a bit of time, but not as bad as Pacific. They also have "random security checks" on cashouts. They are random though, as I have made multiple cashouts with them and not been hit by a "random security check". From what I hear, they are a pain. They require you to fax a copy of your driver's license and a utility bill in order to verify who you are and that you're of age to be playing. Granted, every site has that stuff in the fine print that they can do that at any time, but TGC tends to use it the most.

Overall----I enjoy playing there and continue to do so. Not my favorite site, but still a nice place to play.

PokerNow

See Partypoker. It's a skin, meaning that you play at the same tables at Partypoker players and all on the same network.

Empire Poker

See Partypoker. Another skin.

Aztec Riches

See The Gaming Club. Skin.

Hope that helps some, I still don't have accounts with Ultimate Bet or Absolute yet, so I can't really comment on either, but I've heard nothing that really makes me want to jump in there and give them a try just yet. We'll see though. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:58 am

I agree with Madison except that I hate PartyPoker. If you are just starting off, the $1 buy in for a $5 table is very steep. And there are too many jerks there. I also don't like the fact that most of the people at the bigger money tables seem to know each other - just gives me a bad feeling.

Ultimate Bet is ok and I prefer it to PartyPoker.

My favourite these days is a new site by my online betting site Bowmans.com They had a lot of trouble with their software when it first started out but now it is the best software out there now IMO (or maybe it's just that I'm most comfortable with it). Lots and lots of tourneys, single table tourneys, short-handed single table tourney and headsup tables. Everything that you could want except for Omaha Hi-Lo.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Next

Return to General Talk