Discussion of Bonds' press conference - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Discussion of Bonds' press conference

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:13 pm

This just adds to the list of soundbytes that will/should be played over and over when his guilt is finally absolutely proved. Stuff like this, cheating on his wife etc, is why I really don't like the guy as a person :-t
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:19 pm

blankman wrote:This just adds to the list of soundbytes that will/should be played over and over when his guilt is finally absolutely proved. Stuff like this, cheating on his wife etc, is why I really don't like the guy as a person :-t

d'oh, I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder of one more reason...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Members Only Jackets » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:25 pm

do you think Bonds is still juicing? DId he look smaller?
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:55 pm

No he didn't look smaller, he looked like a moose up there, fat head and all.
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kentx12 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:55 pm

Members Only Jackets wrote:do you think Bonds is still juicing? DId he look smaller?

His face was totally different. It was alot more squared than the round face he has had for the last few years. Looks like he had dropped a hat size ot 6 :-t
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:14 pm

Here’s the transcript.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... SCRIPT.TMP

I thought the interview was great. He came out blasting everything, a pre-emptive strike, which I thought was smart. I didn’t get the impression that he was insane.

Yes, most people hate him for the steroid allegations. That’s fine. But the other side of the coin is that there’s a high probability that some of your favorite players have used steroids one time or another.

As for hating him for being a “jackass,” I always laugh at those comments. Usually it’s because those people are so far out of touch on that issue, it’s funny. I saw Bonds stand outside and sign autographs for people for over an hour after one game. Had a smile on his face the whole time. I can’t tell you how many people his foundation has helped. He’s a genuine, nice guy.

The steroid issue aside, you think he’s a “jackass” because that’s what the media portrays him out to be. And that couldn’t be further from the truth. And that’s what is so funny.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby KolbSaves » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 pm

TownDrunk wrote:Here’s the transcript.

I thought the interview was great. He came out blasting everything, a pre-emptive strike, which I thought was smart. I didn’t get the impression that he was insane.

Yes, most people hate him for the steroid allegations. That’s fine. But the other side of the coin is that there’s a high probability that some of your favorite players have used steroids one time or another.

As for hating him for being a “jackass,” I always laugh at those comments. Usually it’s because those people are so far out of touch on that issue, it’s funny. I saw Bonds stand outside and sign autographs for people for over an hour after one game. Had a smile on his face the whole time. I can’t tell you how many people his foundation has helped. He’s a genuine, nice guy.

The steroid issue aside, you think he’s a “jackass” because that’s what the media portrays him out to be. And that couldn’t be further from the truth. And that’s what is so funny.

I realize it's the correct thing to to tactically for his career. I think he's insane if he believes what he's saying. Again- the "your favorite player has done it too" argument doesn't have anything to do with Bonds doing it or not, stop trying to deflect the attention from him.

edit: as a personal note I'm sure a lot of big name players in the 90's did steroids- including Bonds
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:35 pm

How am I trying to deflect attention away from him? How about you try not to assume things?

Yup, there's a lot of circumstantial evidence out there. And it looks bad. But there’s still nothing concrete. And only a naïve person would believe that he was the only one who might have possibly did it. The fact of the matter is that if all these stories of “roid rampage” are true, then there’s a high probability that some of your favorite players have used roids themselves. Is that not plausible to believe in? It has nothing to do with deflecting criticism away from Bonds. Criticize him all you want, but in most cases, there’s two sides to every coin.

However, my main riff is with the people who constantly have said that the guy is a “jerk” and a “jackass” before the steroid mess started. Those people don’t have a clue :-D

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:47 pm

TownDrunk wrote:Here’s the transcript.

What are you, his PR guy? Kolb isn't a reporter, he got those live. Those comments pretty much prove hes a jackass, plus all the comments hes said before. I understand your obligation as a Giants fan to defend him to the death, but I think theres some things you can't argue and thats Bonds being a world class jerk.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TownDrunk » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:55 pm

No, I’m not his PR guy. Can you be anymore of a smart arse?

And calling him a world class jerk is an ignorant statement.

Are you telling me that all those reporters haven’t lied?

Are you telling me that they don’t have any skeletons in their own closets?

I’ll give you the alcohol one.

As for the cheating one, he said it had nothing to do with hand eye coordination.

It's all about the context in which things are said.

Unless you live out in the Bay and follow the Giants closely, you’re misinformed about Bonds as a person. Greatly misinformed. The guy has done a lot for the community and the fans. He’s a nice guy.

And no, I’m under no obligation as a Giants fan to defend him. And yes, there are some things you can’t argue. But I can argue that calling him a “world class jerk” is a pretty ignorant thing to say. And I can argue that quite easily.
Last edited by TownDrunk on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[b]25[/b]
TownDrunk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Web Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers