Overall quality of this Live Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Overall quality of this Live Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ensanimal » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:16 pm

trade gagne for another stud and ount saves?

very interesting, i hope you will let us know how this all turns out. ;-D
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:26 pm

Yep saves. If you're going to try to punt a cat, naturally you can't make it obvious at the draft. I took Gagne 3rd round to use as trade bait to get a stud power type that hits for average like Manny or Beltre. I'll be using one of my SP to go with Eric in the deal.

I could end up with egg all over my face with this but I will keep the Cafe up-to-date one way or the other as the season unfolds.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby williesd » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:27 pm

roid_rage is the team....
williesd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:30 pm

We shall see. I must admit he did well for an autodrafted team.
Just goes to show that there isn't that much of an advantage being at the live draft as you may think. Especially if you have solid pre-rankings.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:35 pm

curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:44 pm

Not a bad little team. Its roto right? I wouldn't punt any category in roto. The 1 really, really hurts you. I think the average winning team scores in the 80s, which means with that 1 in saves, you would have to score like 6 12s and high in a couple other cats. I think its a big risk and balance would be a better approach IMO. Plus closers help in WHIP and ERA pretty well.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby NZF » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:44 pm

curious_george_43545 wrote:http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... aftresults

Is this draft any better?

You are Franciscians, right? Another perfect opportunity to punt saves (only Troy Percival), although on second thoughts that would spell an almost certain low placed finish looking at your roster :-D
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 pm

New Zealand Fan wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... aftresults

Is this draft any better?

You are Franciscians, right? Another perfect opportunity to punt saves (only Troy Percival), although on second thoughts that would spell an almost certain low placed finish looking at your roster :-D

:-D Yes your right I am them, and Hawkins can get a few saves probably so I didn't completely punt the catergory ;-D
Last edited by curious_george_43545 on Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NZF » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:51 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote: I wouldn't punt any category in roto. The 1 really, really hurts you. I think the average winning team scores in the 80s, Plus closers help in WHIP and ERA pretty well.

In a very competitive league I would agree. In a competitive Yahoo Public league even in roto I'm still of the opinion that you can punt saves.

I'm thinking a winning score is more like mid to high 90's. Maybe even as much as 100 in a less competitive league. I'd be surprised if I scored under 100, even accounting for a 1 in saves.

And elite closers do help in ERA and WHIP but that doesn't amount to many of them. Chasing saves with lower tier closers can burn you. Elite MR's are just as valuable as elite closers in this scenario and come pretty cheap.
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 pm

Nice experiment. My belief is that you can punt categories only in supremely competitive leagues. Since this is a Yahoo public league, I fully expect 2/3's of the teams to be dead by all-star break. To win you will need about 100 points which is pretty damn hard if you're getting a 1 in saves.

Still, my guess is that you'll win the league NZF. I would say there was a 99% chance that you will win without punting, and a 90% change that you will win with punting.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 50)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers