Regarding email forwards - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Regarding email forwards

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Regarding email forwards

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:44 pm

All right. I'm confused. I get religious forwards all the time from my Aunt, trying to convince me that Christians are great and everyone else isn't. Here's the latest:

We know that 80% of the town of Meulaboh in Aceh was destroyed by the Tsunami waves and 80% of the people also died. This is one of the towns that was hit the hardest.

But there is a fantastic testimony from Meulaboh. In that town are about 400 Christians.

They wanted to celebrate Christmas on December 25th but were not allowed to do so by the Muslims of Meulaboh. They were told if they wanted to celebrate Christmas they needed to go outside the city of Meulaboh on a high hill and there celebrate Christmas. Because the Christians desired to celebrate Christmas the 400 believers left the city on December 25th and after they celebrated Christmas they stayed overnight on the hill.

As we all know the morning of December 26 there was the earthquake followed by the Tsunami waves destroying most of the city of Meulaboh and thousands were killed. The 400 believers were on the mountain and were all saved from destruction.

Now the Muslims of Meulaboh are saying that the God of the Christians punished us for forbidding the Christians from celebrating Christmas in the city. Others are questioning why so many Muslims died while not even one of the Christians died there.

Had the Christians insisted on their rights to celebrate Christmas in the city, they would have all died. But because they humbled themselves and followed the advice of the Muslims they all were spared destruction and can now testify of God's marvelous protection.

This is a testimony of the grace of God and the fact that as believers we have no rights in the world. Our right is come before God and commit our lives to Him. Our right is kneeling down before the Lord almighty and commit our ways to Him. He is our Father and is very capable to care for His children. Praise the Name of the Lord.

Bill Hekman

Pastor Calvary Life Fellowship in Indonesia

Now, I'm not blaming my Aunt, but this email is completely false. What's more, it's obviously false.

http://www.snopes.com/religion/tsunami.asp

So my question is why? The person who put this together obviously thinks of themself as a Christian and they obviously knew that they were making up this story. How can someone reconcile the two? The author of this little bit of clap-trap (I'll call him "John Smith") feels that he needs to convince people to become Christian by lying? Can somebody please explain this to me? How? Why?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:52 pm

Well Christians believe that their duty is to guilt trip you into believing what they believe... I went to Catholic School for 12 years...

The funny thing is that the person who created the "FAKE" story has by christian accounts Sinned......Anyways that story is dumb and is just another way the Christians try to scare you into believing their faith...blah
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:03 pm

Old Catcholics believe in the guilt trip. The younger ones (our age) not so much. Christians (Born-Agains, Baptists, etc.) are very different that Catholics though. Moving down South was quite a culture shock initially. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:16 pm

Everyone wants everyone else to believe what they believe since no one has any concrete proof about anything, and will do whatever it takes to try to convince people to believe what they believe.

Waste of time in my opinion.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LBJackal » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:18 pm

How else do Christians bring in more believers? By brainwashing them. This is just more direct.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pacman » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:55 pm

I always like to point out the difference between:

RELIGION -- which as a whole is an institution that with varying motivations has caused more human bloodshed (religious wars/persecution/etc.) than really any other institution in the history of humankind.

and

FAITH -- which is a personal belief in a higher being.

I'm a much bigger fan of the latter than the former. ;-D

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby wrveres » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:05 pm

couple of things ..

A) I don't see where snopes proves it didn't happen, maybe I missed it ..

B) Kinda makes you wonder about the people who wrote the Bible huh? ;-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 641)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:40 pm

I'm sorry- I didn't want to make this an anti-religion thread at all. I just wondered about the mentality - lying for God and all that.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:54 pm

That article you posted doesn't prove anything although it sure goes out of it's way to seem like it does.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nikku88 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:26 am

Most people are these email stories are just sent to confuse people I think. It took my friend about a year to finally believe that KFC was using mutant chickens with no heads.
So we don't know for sure that the creator of this, or at least of the story was Christian, it could have been some Christian heard something like this and made a story out of it.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk