Magglio, Bay or Rowand? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Magglio, Bay or Rowand?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:41 pm

cordscords wrote:I like Maggs here. He reported 2 days early and participated in every drill and reported no pain. If Young, Sanchez, and Guillen are all healthy and playing to the best of their ability, he has a HUGE payoff.

That is a whole lot of if's if you ask me. I couldn't disagree if people prefer Maggs. He's such a great hitter and he's done it for a long time. But I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be concerned about his health.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brendo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:33 pm

slomo007 wrote:Bay's K totals scare me too much for this year. I'd take Maggs, then Rowand, then Bay. I am not saying Bay will definitely crash, what I am saying is that he Ks too much for me to risk for this year. If he performs well for another year, then apparently he is just one of those types of players that is just a free swinger....but I want to see it first.

He K'd 129 times in 120 games!

Again, not saying he'll suck, but that's a risk I'll avoid given his draft price this year.

unless you're in a league that counts K's, you can't really go by this....A-Rod struck out 130 times, would you draft him?

26 HR in 411 AB's is pretty good, especially for year #1
as for him over Magglio, I'd still probably lean towards Ordonez....he's a risk (but who isn't) but one with a proven upside
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:33 pm

slomo007 wrote:Bay's K totals scare me too much for this year. I'd take Maggs, then Rowand, then Bay. I am not saying Bay will definitely crash, what I am saying is that he Ks too much for me to risk for this year. If he performs well for another year, then apparently he is just one of those types of players that is just a free swinger....but I want to see it first.

He K'd 129 times in 120 games!

Again, not saying he'll suck, but that's a risk I'll avoid given his draft price this year.

You Bay supporters are really letting me down, what, no counter argument? I go out on a limb and I don't get a reply in over an hour? I'm disappointed.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby quietstorm » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:36 pm

I know it's not good, objective reasoning, here, but I just get a really good feeling about Rowand.

Bay is a legit player; I had him last year. But I'm feeling a bit weary about his very low steals total last year. Isn't this the guy who's supposed to be 20/20 consistently?
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brendo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:37 pm

ummmmmm, I sort of stuck up for him
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Brendo wrote:ummmmmm, I sort of stuck up for him

You did, you're right...you must have posted a split second before I said that. I should have known to give it a few more minutes.

I agree that it's possible to K a lot and still be a great hitter, but I also think your chance of a sophomore slump is more likely if you K a lot....so he definitely has a risk to him.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Brendo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:46 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Brendo wrote:ummmmmm, I sort of stuck up for him

You did, you're right...you must have posted a split second before I said that. I should have known to give it a few more minutes.

I agree that it's possible to K a lot and still be a great hitter, but I also think your chance of a sophomore slump is more likely if you K a lot....so he definitely has a risk to him.

agreed, that's why Mags is the pick...if he's healthy you've a got a good idea what he'll do.

as for bay, the K's are a little concerning when you look at his career (minor league) numbers.
He was typically pretty evenly split on walks and K's...(200 walks, 280 K's)

last year was a jump in the opposite direction...maybe he was agressive, or tried to kill the ball, who knows

but if you CAN wait, it's worth it to me to see what he does in '05
Brendo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Halo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:55 pm

Great feedback, thanks.

Let me throw one more thing at you to see if this changes your mind. I currently have all three on my team but can only keep one. Since I took Maggs in the second round of last year's draft, I would forfeit my second round pick this year if I chose to keep him. However, since I picked up Bay and Rowand as FA's last year, I would only be forfeiting a last round (15th) pick if I chose to keep either of them. So, it's really a Maggs+15th rounder or Bay+2nd rounder. It's a 12 team/5 player keeper league, so figure the top 60 are off the board before the draft even starts.

Any thoughts?
10/27/02 - Answered Prayers
Halo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby so0perspam » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Halo wrote:Great feedback, thanks.

Let me throw one more thing at you to see if this changes your mind. I currently have all three on my team but can only keep one. Since I took Maggs in the second round of last year's draft, I would forfeit my second round pick this year if I chose to keep him. However, since I picked up Bay and Rowand as FA's last year, I would only be forfeiting a last round (15th) pick if I chose to keep either of them. So, it's really a Maggs+15th rounder or Bay+2nd rounder. It's a 12 team/5 player keeper league, so figure the top 60 are off the board before the draft even starts.

Any thoughts?

Still Bay.
Last edited by so0perspam on Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:58 pm

Knowing that, you can't keep Maggs. You'd be forfeiting a great player in the draft, and he's not worlds apart from Bay or Rowand IMO.

I would go with Rowand personally, but the case can definitely be made for Bay, and I think he'll be the more popular answer on this board.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers