Peter Gammons Breakout Candidates... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peter Gammons Breakout Candidates...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:12 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:So we call stating what the whole world knows/the obvous a "Nugget of Wisdom"?

Austin Kearns will break out...one of these years.

Reyes has talent if he could only stay healthy....Brilliant. I need his sage advice for that?

Utley...If he gets a chance he could be good...Another pearl of insight.

What may seem like common knowledge to us fantasy geeks doesn't translate well into the regular world. There are a ton of baseball fans who have never heard of a single guy on Gammon's breakout list. That's the audience he's trying to reach. Not you or me.

LaRoche is a new one to me though. I wonder why Gammons included his name on this prestigious list. I may have to look into that.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:14 pm

That point being that he is more disliked by Yankee fans than by the general baseball fan...hardly news.

There is only one so-called journalist who is more of a homer and more of a schill than Gammons is and that is Lupica here in NY who does his little act for the Mets. He hardly hides it though under the guise of Baseball Tonight as some profound, well connected, independent baseball journalist.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:19 pm

bleach168 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:So we call stating what the whole world knows/the obvous a "Nugget of Wisdom"?

Austin Kearns will break out...one of these years.

Reyes has talent if he could only stay healthy....Brilliant. I need his sage advice for that?

Utley...If he gets a chance he could be good...Another pearl of insight.

What may seem like common knowledge to us fantasy geeks doesn't translate well into the regular world. There are a ton of baseball fans who have never heard of a single guy on Gammon's breakout list. That's the audience he's trying to reach. Not you or me.

LaRoche is a new one to me though. I wonder why Gammons included his name on this prestigious list. I may have to look into that.

The obvious/usual answer would be because Epstein told him too. However, I have heard LaRoche talked up by the Braves before, so he is likely just repeating what he has heard from Cox, Scheurolz (spelling?) and company.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:07 am

Mookie, why you only like one guy on the list? I thought it was a rather good list. Bonderman, Kearns, Utley especially. I don't see a real bad choice. That doesn't mean every guy has to break through.

Gammons is privy to talking with mgrs and gms. He is paid to speculate. Just because he says a trade might happen, and it doesn't, doesn't make him a idiot. He is a Boston homer true, but as far as ESPN goes, he's a pretty legit guy.

Bleach made a good point, the Cafe has endorsed most of those guys.

Bonderman is my 2nd highest breakout candidate.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:34 am

Thanks for that post. I really like Bonderman as a huge K guy this year as well...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:40 am

Thanks Hootie, you made me feel even better about taking Bonderman in my auction.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:42 am

HOOTIE wrote:Bonderman is my 2nd highest breakout candidate.

Hootie, you can't say that and then not tell us who your #1 is....can you?
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

gammons

Postby quicksilver8 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:00 am

I would agree that Gammons isn't telling us much that we don't already know. I would also agree that Gammons' intended audience isn't probably the cafe crowd.

Does anyone else think that Gammons looks like Big Bird?
quicksilver8
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: gammons

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:11 am

quicksilver8 wrote:I would agree that Gammons isn't telling us much that we don't already know. I would also agree that Gammons' intended audience isn't probably the cafe crowd.

Does anyone else think that Gammons looks like Big Bird?

Big Bird...Nice. ;-D
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:16 am

TheYanks04 wrote:There is only one so-called journalist who is more of a homer and more of a schill than Gammons is and that is Lupica here in NY who does his little act for the Mets.

Lol. Kay is worse than both combined.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers