Peter Gammons Breakout Candidates... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Peter Gammons Breakout Candidates...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JDD » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:38 pm

I love Gammons, when he reports what other people say.

And if he spent any time with the Reds, he would have learned that Kearns may not even win a job this spring.
--JDD
JDD
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:42 pm

JDD wrote:I love Gammons, when he reports what other people say.

And if he spent any time with the Reds, he would have learned that Kearns may not even win a job this spring.

I know Willy Mo's got truck-load of potential... but give me a break. There is no way he starts over a healthy Kearns.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:45 pm

wow. I disagree with almost every single one of those except for Utley.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:47 pm

mcmahojl wrote:
Jeremy Bonderman. Ignore the won-loss, the raw numbers are very good and the stuff is better. Remember, he should be a college junior.

Gammons does have some bizarre predictions. I dont think Bonderman is ready just yet. Even if you "ignore the won-loss" his numbers still are not that good. He did have a few good games, but I put him in the "Ill let you worry about him" category.

Bonderman had an excellent 2nd half and much of his first half ERA was due to some fluke runs, bad defense etc. I think hes going to emerge as the ace of that young staff.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mcmahojl » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:54 pm

Bonderman had an excellent 2nd half and much of his first half ERA was due to some fluke runs, bad defense etc. I think hes going to emerge as the ace of that young staff.

I admit, I am not one to watch many Tiger games. But, a 5.56 and 4.89 ERA's for 162 and 184 IP for 03 and 04 respectively is what it is. He may be the ace of that staff, but until he gets that k/inn ratio up, and the ERA down, you can have him.
"I live for this game. If baseballs went well with eggs, Id eat them for breakfast..."
mcmahojl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:06 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:wow. I disagree with almost every single one of those except for Utley.

Yeah Utley is pretty high on my wanted list too.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lesgrant » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:23 pm

stumpak wrote:Gammons makes a lot of foolish statements whenever he enters the realm of analysis. He is a great journalist in the sense of having a huge network of contacts and getting the scoop, but once things get beyond that he is very limited. Beyond that, he is actually a poor writer from a stylistic perspective and has trouble clearly communicating his point. I wouldn't hire someone who turned in a writing sample as garbled and unclear as some Gammon's more meandering points.

;-D Right On!

And beyond that, you never want to take tips from the guy. Not only is he wrong but he commands the attention of every wanna-be fantasy stud. So you’ll be racing against bad fantasy owners to pick up over-hyped players that will frustrate you all year.
lesgrant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:40 pm

Man, the Yankee fans on this board hate Gammons so much. Did he steal your bikes when you were kids or something? :-b
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:52 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Man, the Yankee fans on this board hate Gammons so much. Did he steal your bikes when you were kids or something? :-b

He is a mindless and clueless schill for the Boston Red Sox, so what did you expect.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby MikeeDee » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Seems to me like Gammons plays the numbers game. He's mentioned all of these players before either in previous years, as potential ROY candidates, or guys to watch. Pena has been on his list since he got traded from the Rangers to the A's. That's a while back.

If you just keep mentioning the same players after a while at least some of them have got to pan out, right?
MikeeDee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers