H2H Points - Hitters or Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H Points - Hitters or Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H Points - Hitters or Pitchers?

Postby DaQ » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:08 am

I know a question similar to this has been posted an infinate number of times, but I wanted to know if there is any distinct advantage in H2H points leagues regarding hitters and pitchers. The commish of my league made the points so the average hitter and the average pitcher are equal. Each week, a team gets a W or a L depending on if the team gets more total pts over the entire week.

For hitters, I know the advantage for them is that they are more consistent. play every day and less injury prone. For pitchers, they only start once or twice a week, but they can get a lot of points in those starts. Also, at the end of the season, everyone seems to want to trade for a pitcher.

So, in your opinion, who are more valuable in a H2H pts league- hitters or pitchers (the average hitter is equal to the average pitcher)?

P.S. I can guaruntee members of my league see this, but post your thoughts anyway. I can still go either way on draft day. I just want to hear your opinions on this.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby demoflauchy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:52 am

I think Pitchers are more valuable in the points system. You've got guys like R. Johnson, Santana, Schilling, Schmidt, and Prior who can rack up 2 really nice starts in a given week and score a lot more points....A LOT more points than if Pujols or ARod went on a 8 HR tear during a given week.

I'm in a keeper league, so most of the top pitchers are gone....and in the 3 years our league has existed, Pitching has been the dominant factor in winning those leagues.

If you're pick in the draft is 1-7, draft a hitter. If you're 7-10/12 draft a stud such as Santana or Johnson.
[url]textandmac.com[/url]
[url]pokerandcoffee.blogspot.com[/url]
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DaQ » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:48 pm

demoflauchy wrote:If you're pick in the draft is 1-7, draft a hitter. If you're 7-10/12 draft a stud such as Santana or Johnson.

What about 14? In the 2nd round, we have to take a player who will be gone at the end of the year (contract rules). I have the last pick in round 1, but the first in round 2.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

strategy

Postby PacmanJr » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:52 pm

In Head-to-head points, hitting is the key b/c they are consistent. Draft hitters and let the others pick the pitching high. THen, throughtout the season just pickup two start pitchers while sifting through sleeper candidates at pitcher as well. We play that in my league. I always have a great hitting team and good to great closers. I cycle some two start pitchers in with a decent core of pitchers. I have won two years in a row and don't plan on giving that up this year. Good luck!
PacmanJr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: strategy

Postby Mordraken » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:10 pm

PacmanJr wrote:In Head-to-head points, hitting is the key b/c they are consistent.

No offense, but I disagree with this (and this is just a matter of opinion... I should look around the net to see if I can find something to back it up).

IMO, in a baseball league that starts (for example) 9 hitters and 9 pitchers, you want a certain "base" level of consistency, but the ability to win over a year is generated from people that have large devations from the norm (i.e. the "streaky" player or the "home run hitter"). The reason is this: If you have a solid base (say for example 1/2 your team) then you will guarantee a certain level of performance.

If the other half of your team is equally solid, then you know every week you'll put up your 35 runs, 35 RBIs, .270 Avg and 15 HRs. (for example). However, with a streaky roster, you'll have your base of 17 runs and 17 RBIs, 7 HRs and a .270 avg, but that one streaky player may generate on his OWN 10-15 runs and a .350 average that pull your enitre team up. If one player can out-do your opponents' two players, you will win. I believe this is even more important in a points league than a roto league (where eventually all variations will even out over time). Basically in a points HTH league, you're looking for the big-blast from a couple of players that may be able to outperform 1/2 the players on the other team combined.

Pitchers are an excellent example of this. A pitcher like Randy Johnson or Pedro (in their prime) would put up points equivelant to about 2-3 other pitchers in each start. Having someone like that on your roster would almost give you the equivelant of 5 "average" starters. A batter is not going to be able to do that. Sure - A-Rod is great, but if the average batter is putting up 80 runs and 80 RBIs with a .260 BA, A-Rod still (probably) won't put up 160 runs and 160 RBIs with a .420 BA to out-perform "two" other batters.

In a points league, I would seriously consider stocking up on high-risk high-reward type players (making Santana/RandyJ my first 2 picks). There are plenty of consistent batters around to give you a solid base, but when you have 2 pitchers on your staff that can outproduce an entire team's pitching on a weekly basis, you will win.

Conversley - if those players get injured (Randy) or come back to reality (Santana), then you're screwed... but if they don't you're getting a title.

IMO.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers