dumping/picking up pitchers in h2h league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

dumping/picking up pitchers in h2h league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

dumping/picking up pitchers in h2h league

Postby BenE25Bonds » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:18 am

i've been playing fantasy baseball for about the last 6 seasons and i haven't been in a league where a manager drafts awesome hitters and then picks up whoever is pitching that day, but i was wondering if this is illegal or just frowned upon? because i was going to try it in a yahoo public this season to see how it works out. it seems like you will win the 5 hitting categories and wins and K's while surrendering era and whip in a normal 5x5 league. i hear a lot about this strategy and was wondering why everyone doesn't do it if it's so invincible?
BenE25Bonds
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:32 am

My school of thought is that I like to play leagues that show who has the best team. That said, public leagues are a joke in this regard. Picking up players occasionally to win a cat is O.K. Churning 3 players daily is wrong. Playing public leagues will really test your patience. :-°

I would recommend either playing private leagues with your friends or being the commish in public leagues and limiting transactions. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Re: dumping/picking up pitchers in h2h league

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:48 am

BenE25Bonds wrote:i hear a lot about this strategy and was wondering why everyone doesn't do it if it's so invincible?

It's not fun. I did it once just to see if it worked. It worked pretty good. I showed my friend who did it the next year. It worked again. Now, neither of us do it because it gets old really quick.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Re: dumping/picking up pitchers in h2h league

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:03 am

bleach168 wrote:
BenE25Bonds wrote:i hear a lot about this strategy and was wondering why everyone doesn't do it if it's so invincible?

It's not fun. I did it once just to see if it worked. It worked pretty good. I showed my friend who did it the next year. It worked again. Now, neither of us do it because it gets old really quick.

Sorry. I missed this part. Not only does it get old fast but it is also a questionable process because your ERA and WHIP generally suffer.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby foulballstrike3 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:52 am

This is a huge problem w/ the 5X5 league that I do. There are 14 teams, the entrance fee is over $200, and everyone is trying to pick up and bogart pitchers. With the daily lineup changes, this makes for a very stressful year.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:50 pm

foulballstrike3 wrote:This is a huge problem w/ the 5X5 league that I do. There are 14 teams, the entrance fee is over $200, and everyone is trying to pick up and bogart pitchers. With the daily lineup changes, this makes for a very stressful year.

Couldn't you just cap transactions?? :-?
Lofunzo

Postby mcqfesijiba » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:23 pm

I never play Yahoo public h2h leagues for this very reason. I'm not a fan of this style, but that's just my preference. I stick to private leagues for h2h that have rules to make this strategy a little less common. It's perfectly legal however if there are no rules against it.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:56 pm

Yes, it works and the strategy is pretty much unbeatable. It does get old, however, and as someone that's practiced it for a couple seasons, you're definitely glad when baseball is over and you don't have to hit the waiver wire at 12:00am for the nightly 'waiver wire race'.

Basically we imposed a rule in our league that anytime you add a pitcher to your roster, he must remain on your team for 1 full week before you can drop him (unless he goes on the IR). This pretty much brought the practice to a screeching halt.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball Leftovers