Tossup: Kendall or Estrada - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tossup: Kendall or Estrada

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:03 am

Hmmm Kendall .319 3 homers 86 Runs 51 RBI's 11 steals

verus Estrada's .314 9 homers 56 Runs 76 RBI's 0 stolen bases

Estrada had 112 less abats. Now they have about the same average and Kendal has 30 more runs and 11 more steals and Estrada has 20 more RBI's. Now in 112 at bats I think Estrada could improve his stats enough to get equal if not better than Kendall since all he has to do is close a gap of 30 runs and 11 steals - 20 RBI's and 6 homers in 100+ at bats.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby so0perspam » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:05 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:Hmmm Kendall .319 3 homers 86 Runs 51 RBI's 11 steals

Estrada had 112 less abats. Now they have about the same average and Kendal has 30 more runs and 11 more steals and Estrada has 20 more RBI's. Now in 112 at bats I think Estrada could improve his stats enough to get equal if not better than Kendall since all he has to do is close a gap of 30 runs and 11 steals - 20 RBI's and 6 homers in 100+ at bats.

You forgot to include the boost in Kendall's numbers that should come with going to a more potent A's lineup this season.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:14 am

so0perspam wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:Hmmm Kendall .319 3 homers 86 Runs 51 RBI's 11 steals

You forgot to include the boost in Kendall's numbers that should come with going to a more potent A's lineup this season.

Just pointing out that the stat lines aren't that much apart and I do have Kendall slighty ahead of Estrada, with that being one of the reasons.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:27 am

It has more to do with the difference in Runs which are more valuable than the 20 RBIs. And Kendall kicks in the SBs (which you can argue will decrease in Oakland) and his BA his more value over the extra 100 ABs. Kendall plays a ton of games for a catcher. It's not that close. And then you factor in their outlook for this year and it's Kendall over Estrada easy.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:48 am

I agree that I would take Kendall over Estrada, but I don't agree that the rest of Estrada's numbers are "garbage". We are talking about arguably the best fantasy catcher in the NL.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby nikku88 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:12 am

Kendell.
He goes to a better lineup in Oakland and he has hit over .300 many times.
I also don't see Estrada getting more ABs. most catchers are rested often, but Kendell plays more than most, so he should always have more ABs than Estrada.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nikku88 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:14 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:Mauer will not be a rookie in 2005. According to the rules, "a player is considered a rookie unless, during a previous season, he had exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of the 25-man limit (excluding time in military service and time on the disabled list).

According to my calculations, Mauer spent 46 days on the active roster (April 6-7, June 3-July 18). So he missed the rookie cut-off by exactly one day.

Hmmm thats interesting Mauer can't be rookie of the year by 1
day.... ( Link )http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/min/news/min_news.jsp?ymd=20041106&content_id=911116&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp

Same with Morneau. Same with Lew Ford last year.
Amazing how that happens so often with the Twins. ;-)
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:40 am

I see it like this:

In a non-keeper.......Kendall, Mauer, Estrada. In a keeper.......Mauer, Kendall, Estrada. I like Estrada but he was a career minor leaguer for a reason. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby prodpaul » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:55 am

If you're talking Kendall or Estrada I say Kendall as well.

Tetelestai
prodpaul
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby AcidRock23 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:36 am

They are very much peas in a pod however I would not expect much in the way of SB from Kendall on Oakland. They had 47 TEAM SB last year, only the Giants and Rockies ran less.

I was thinking Estrada might have some more upside being 'younger' but he's only a couple of years younger so I would just take whoever I thought would be the best pick in terms of draft location, which would be Estrada as I've not seen him ranked > Kendall in too many places.

There's not all that much dropoff for Estrada and if he's cheaper, I'd wait on him and grab Estrada. And, if you've waited until those two come around, there's some other guys not too far off like Michael Barrett lurking even a couple of rounds AFTER that.

On a related note, for some reason, RotoChamps projections have Estrada down for 18 HR from which I would have to conclude that they are smoking crack or something?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers