Coco Crisp underrated? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Coco Crisp underrated?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby so0perspam » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:06 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:Well how about another name Rocco Baldelli.... .280 with 16 homers and 17 steals not to mention 74 RBI's and 79 Runs in 136 games. Those numbers seem very similar to Coco's and maybe slighty better then Mench....

He's out till June at least, no way. :-t
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:09 am

Yeah I wouldn't expect much from Baldelli this year at all. Even if he comes back post ASB, a lot of his value lies in his steals and I don't see many of those headed his way. Plus, it usually takes a month or so before injured players hit their strides...so unless you're looking for a late season contributor, I wouldn't waste your time on Baldelli this season.

Next year, however, I do expect big things.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby curious_george_43545 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:10 am

so0perspam wrote:
curious_george_43545 wrote:Well how about another name Rocco Baldelli.... .280 with 16 homers and 17 steals not to mention 74 RBI's and 79 Runs in 136 games. Those numbers seem very similar to Coco's and maybe slighty better then Mench....

Hmmm haven't really read up on him for a while. Though his knee would be ready a little sooner then that. Thanks So0p ;-)
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby so0perspam » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:12 am

curious_george_43545 wrote:
so0perspam wrote:

Hmmm haven't really read up on him for a while. Though his knee would be ready a little sooner then that. Thanks So0p ;-)

No problem ... here's the official Rotoworld report on Baldelli:

Rocco Baldelli may play right field after returning from a torn ACL, manager Lou Piniella said.
The Rays won't consider it yet, but there's also the possibility that Baldelli could return as a DH in June or July, especially if either Josh Phelps or Travis Lee disappoints. The Rays should have some sort of plan in place heading into the exhibition schedule because they want to leave Aubrey Huff in one spot. If they think Baldelli will return as a right fielder, Huff will play left. If they want to leave Baldelli in center, Huff will play right. And if Baldelli won't return until August... well, there's a good chance Huff will be gone by then.
ImageImage
so0perspam
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:30 am

Of the various guys with 15/20 or 20/20 potential (Torii Hunter, Lew Ford, Randy Winn, Coco Crisp, etc.), I like Crisp the most. Check out his second-half numbers - if he could only improve his SB%, he could hit something like .315, 22 HR, 25 SB, 100 R, 85 RBI.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:13 pm

JustAnotherYanksFan wrote:Of the various guys with 15/20 or 20/20 potential (Torii Hunter, Lew Ford, Randy Winn, Coco Crisp, etc.), I like Crisp the most. Check out his second-half numbers - if he could only improve his SB%, he could hit something like .315, 22 HR, 25 SB, 100 R, 85 RBI.
I like Crisp but that is a very optomistic prediction. That would be career highs across the board. I really think the .315 BA and 85 RBI are way too high.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby tvv44 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:28 pm

What about Crisp compared to Lew Ford? Who would you draft 1st and why?
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm

Pogo - well, I agree that those are optimistic projections. But I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Crisp to best his career highs, considering that he's a young player who's still improving.

But as for how I arrived at those numbers...well, it wasn't very scientific; I basically doubled his second-half stats and added a bit for extra games and improvement. In 71 post all-star break games, these were his stats (R-HR-RBI-SB-BA):
45-10-39-9-.318

Double those, and add a bit based on extra games (71*2=142...I'd expect more games than that), not to mention that he's still improving.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 pm

i think some people are actually overrating coco. he has potential i think he will have a difficult time matching last years numbers. i think he will put up a pretty pedestrian .280, 9hr,20sb.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:26 pm

Personally, I'd take Crisp over Ford. Except for his incredible April, Ford was basically a .280 hitter last year. Crisp is younger and improved significantly in the second half.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers