My auction contract keeper league is so Expensive.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My auction contract keeper league is so Expensive..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My auction contract keeper league is so Expensive..

Postby ayebatter » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:00 am

wp001g wrote:
swarmee wrote:Main suggestion: put your league rules into USAToday's $$ value predictor and see what reasonable prices to pay for players are. Then read the article at baseballnotebook.com about paying 80% of value when considering which players to bid on and for which prices.

question: when using these value predictors do you recommend estimating the number of batters and pitchers on your active palying roster or should you estimate what your bench will look like as well. for example. i start 13 hitters and 8 pitchers and my bench is 8 players. should i enter 13/8 or 17/12?

this always confuses me and it makes a huge difference.

Starters only - your bench will just happen to fill itself out as you draft.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:53 am

I've never done an auction league, so take this with a grain of salt.

It sounds like you are in a great position. Let others overbid on those players. Just like the others said, be patient and wait for the deals to come to you. I suspect there are a few others in the league that are probably playing with a similar strategy, so don't get complacent ...
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:53 am

Funny how no one mentioned it but this is an 18-team league. That's 50% more money than your regular 12 team league. If you're willing to pay $40 for Pujols in a 12 team auction, then you should be willing to pay $60 in an 18 team auction.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby swarmee » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:12 am

bleach168 wrote:Funny how no one mentioned it but this is an 18-team league. That's 50% more money than your regular 12 team league. If you're willing to pay $40 for Pujols in a 12 team auction, then you should be willing to pay $60 in an 18 team auction.

WRONG! That would be true if the player pool was the same size, but it's not. You've also got 50% more players to bid on. Like I said, the guy needs to toss his league's info into the $$ projector and use that information. He'll be much better off than going with the crowd and overpaying.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Re: My auction contract keeper league is so Expensive..

Postby wp001g » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:16 am

ayebatter wrote:
wp001g wrote:
swarmee wrote:Main suggestion: put your league rules into USAToday's $$ value predictor and see what reasonable prices to pay for players are. Then read the article at baseballnotebook.com about paying 80% of value when considering which players to bid on and for which prices.

question: when using these value predictors do you recommend estimating the number of batters and pitchers on your active palying roster or should you estimate what your bench will look like as well. for example. i start 13 hitters and 8 pitchers and my bench is 8 players. should i enter 13/8 or 17/12?

this always confuses me and it makes a huge difference.

Starters only - your bench will just happen to fill itself out as you draft.

thanks for that.
wp001g
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stumpak » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:29 am

Auction prices will always be distortionary to the high side in an auction keeper league. It's pretty simple--people will only keep guys that who have prive tags that undervalue them; as a result everyone that is in the auction (not kept) will go for prices that look really expensive if you just consider the total money available and the number of teams in the league.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:24 pm

swarmee wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Funny how no one mentioned it but this is an 18-team league. That's 50% more money than your regular 12 team league. If you're willing to pay $40 for Pujols in a 12 team auction, then you should be willing to pay $60 in an 18 team auction.

WRONG! That would be true if the player pool was the same size, but it's not. You've also got 50% more players to bid on. Like I said, the guy needs to toss his league's info into the $$ projector and use that information. He'll be much better off than going with the crowd and overpaying.

Guys like Alex Cora, Shawn Estes, and Casey Blake represent the extra 50% player pool you are talking about. The extra 50% money is not going to be spent on these guys.

The player poor is not the same size, the but talent pool is the same size. You better fight to get that talent.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers