Importance of Max Innings Pitched? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Importance of Max Innings Pitched?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Importance of Max Innings Pitched?

Postby Gang Green » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:49 pm

My 12 team H2H league is tossing around the idea of a max innings pitched rule. It's about 50/50 for/against in our league. I believe that a max innings rule will stop people from loading up on starters and having to strategically pick people to start games. The people who are against say its unnecessary because if you start too many pitchers, you will inevitably have a high ERA & WHIP. Just for the record, we already have a transaction limit for the year (25) so there is no cycling of pitchers involved.
I could be wrong in what I'm saying but I'll be dead before I realize it.
Gang Green
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:57 pm

I am all for a max innings limit...something in the 1250-1500 range is good....I doesn't so much prevent loading up on pitchers...but keeps people from using the WW as their bench and roster churning... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:08 pm

The fact is that a baseball team has 9 innings to get its job done. 9x162 = 900+540+18 = 1458 innings, more or less, to earn your Ks, Saves, and Wins. I don't see how you can not favor an innings limit. It's un-American to do otherwise.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:19 pm

Hey GANG GREEN, long time no see. I'm for a inning requirement of 1,000 at least, but don't really see a need for a max. If they load up on sp, they basically punt saves, and likely their whip and era takes a hit.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:33 pm

i like a max innings limit. it makes you take in to account things like k/9 and the like since you've only got a limited number of innings in which to acquire Ks. moreover, it makes you balance relievers with starters, since relievers get less wins per IP than starters (at least in general), so if you want to load up on relievers to get more K/9, it'll cost you some Ws. likewise, more closers mean fewer innings for starters, so if you have something like 4 crappy closers eating innings, you won't have as many innings for Ws as people with 2 or 3 quality closers.

anyhow, IP limit makes the game more interesting IMO, so you should use it. ;-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:02 pm

With a strict transaction limitation I don't think its really needed as long as the benches are reasonable size.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Andy1234 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:53 am

For roto, I think there needs to be a max. But for H2H I really don't see the need for 1 because of your transaction limit.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:43 am

Tavish wrote:With a strict transaction limitation I don't think its really needed as long as the benches are reasonable size.

I agree. Limiting transactions will take care of that although 25 seems a bit low. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Return to Baseball Leftovers