How to play a restricted H2H? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to play a restricted H2H?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to play a restricted H2H?

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:39 pm

So, I'm in my first real competitive H2H (H2H world series, US West), and we have min innings of 20 and I think there is going to be a max transaction of 60-75 some where around that. Should I build a balanced team, or do I go hitter and closer heavy and use spot starters? I'm leaning towards balance teams but I'm not sure how well it will work.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:42 pm

No one will help me? :,-( Its 14 teamer 6x6 btw, with OPS and Holds as the extra cats.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:47 pm

With a transaction limit I wouldn't build my team around the assumption that I can spot start. If you get into a bind with injuries you might be in some trouble. Also, with Holds the best Holds producers often come off of the WW so you want to use your transactions sparingly.

I think I would lean towards a balanced team.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:50 pm

Thanks. In your experience, how early do the good holds guys go? Gordon, Otsuka? Are we talking like near the top closers?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:54 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Thanks. In your experience, how early do the good holds guys go? Gordon, Otsuka? Are we talking like near the top closers?

In my league that counts Holds....usually they don't go as high as the closers....some of the top ones will start going in the 8th or 9th...but they really don't start going off the board until the mid teens....but like Amazinz said...alot of holds can be gotten off the WW...so don't over draft them when you can get them cheap.... :-)

(Oh...and draft a balanced team.... ;-D )
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:54 pm

This is the first year I actually drafted in a league that uses holds and the top tier holds guys seemed to go around the same time the second tier closers were going.

I guess I will learn with experience but I am a little skeptical drafting a pitcher for holds. A guy like Otsuka still has a ton of value regardless but holds seem to be very volatile from year to year. A lot of the best holds pitchers are probably going to come from the WW. We'll see. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers