Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How Did You Do This Year?

Postby Chicago » Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:47 am

I participated in 4 leagues this year.

Yahoo Weekly Points - 1st Place, won tournament
Yahoo Roto - 1st Place
Sandbox Midseason - 1st Place
Sandbox Keeper - Currently 2nd, but it's down to the wire

How did you do? I owe part of my success to both writing and reading on these boards, and the other part to putting some effort into researching the draft. The big pickup on just about all of my teams was Lance Berkman, who I rated higher than most people in the draft.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:05 pm

Congratulations! That's quite a record! ;-D

I'm not doing quite as well as you... In my main keeper league, I thought I might be able to pull out one more championship after winning the last two years, but the salary system doesn't encourage dynasties (which is basically a good thing). Unfortunately, Berkman was among those I had to drop (his salary was in the high 20's)... It was a close race, and I came back from 6 points down two weeks ago, but now I'm back in a 1.5-point hole and need a bit of luck to win...

I'm also second in a 12-team single-season league, in which I tried out a pitching staff consisting of the Big Unit and a dozen relievers. Not bad for an experiment, but not good enough to win.

And in my futility league (which was a blast), the second-place trend continues, and I probably won't get the five errors, four caught stealing and one gidp that it would take to move into first.

Oh well. It was a bit of an experimental season for me, but lots of fun!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:07 pm

Argghh... let me express my absolute disgust with my Cubbies. Losing all season, and they can't just lay down on the last day and let Josh Fogg get the win that would put me over the top in one of my leagues...

So, my leagues were:
2nd place in 10-team head-to-head (if Fogg gets the win, I win the championship match in this league)
2nd place in 10-team roto (6 points ahead of 2nd, 8 points behind 1st)
3rd place in the division in 10-team head-to-head (5 teams in each division, so I missed the playoffs, which is for the top 4 teams overall)

So close, but no cigars at all. Not even cheap cigars. B-)

Edit: that reminds me, Arlo, next year will we have a league especially for cafe regulars? Seems like it'd be fun, although might make advice a little more tight-lipped. :-D Personally, I'd suggest CBS Sportsline, they have a few different formats and you can do private leagues, although Sandbox or something might be better. *shrug*
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:02 am

Yeah, it hurts when you just miss... 4 rbi and 2 sb would have done it for me, too. Oh well - what can you do.

A Cafe league would be fun - I think this is an idea that deserves a topic of its own...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cwebb » Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:24 pm

And I'm the one who won our keeper league! Yee-haw to my guys like Guerrero, Green, Schilling, Gagne, Giambi, Nen, Garret Anderson (cheapest guy at 2$) and Kevin K. Brown :-C
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JuicePats » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:47 pm

In our head-to-head categorical league, I finished 5th after losing to the 8th place (out of 9) team in the last week of the regular season (who just happened to be owned by my father). That cost me home field advantage in the 1st round, which was almost the difference in the 1st round of the playoffs. In the playoffs, the team with the higher seed wins all tie games, and I lost to the 4th place team (and eventual champion) 16-14. Of course, I finished 9-7 after starting 0-4, so it wasn't all bad.
JuicePats
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby arkman » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:53 pm

I play in a couple of leagues, but they only one I care about (the same one I've been playing in for 12 seasons) I managed to take 1st place. This is the first time I've won since I won the inaugural 2 seasons, so it's been a bit of a drought. :-o

However, it was incredibly close! It came down to the last day of the season and if the team below me in batting average had gotten two more hits, or had approximately 5 less at bats, I would have been toast.

Final standings are here: http://www.genner.on.ca/noahville/baseball/2002_stand.htm
arkman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby pamchenko » Mon Dec 16, 2002 11:56 am

in the leagues i paid attention to...

1st place - yahoo 5x5 roto for my grad school class

2nd place - espn 5x5 roto, truly heart-breaking 1 pt loss in what may have been the most competitive league i have ever been in.

1st place - yahoo 5x5 head to head - not competitive at all...though i may have been black listed for trading ishii and delgado for helton and luis gonzalez

6th place - yahoo 5x5 head to head - complete disaster with college buddies
pamchenko
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cheferic » Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:54 pm

in my keeper league i made it to the world series...had the best record in my league as well. but of course i was edged out by less then 20 points for the championship! but our league keeps up to 12 players so of course i will be back next year!
:-)
'we can rebuild them...we have the technology'
cheferic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Decack » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:15 am

Last year was my second year of Fant Baseball. The first year I won the championship with a lineup including (but not limited to) R. Johnson, M. Morris, J. Vazquez, V. Guerrero, B. Giles, C. Delgado, A. Pujols, M. Piazza and P. Nevin. Last year however, I couldn't recover from what turned out to be a crappy draft; nearly in order; L. Gonzalez, M. Mussina, B. Boone, M. Piazza, K. Foulke, R. Aurilia. Didn't even make the playoffs though it was close. Overall though my Fantasy Sports record is pretty darned good. Added another Football Championship this year.
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Return to Baseball Leftovers