Fantasy point draft strategy: who to pick? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fantasy point draft strategy: who to pick?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy point draft strategy: who to pick?

Postby acapulco » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:04 pm

10-team FANTASY POINT keeper league. I'm keeping Pujols, Hudson, Sheets, and B Giles. I have 3rd pick and then 18th (snake). Expect I'll have to choose from amongst D. ORTIZ(3.6ppg last yr), Aubrey HUFF (3.1ppg), C. CRAWFORD (3.3ppg), and Juan PIERRE (3.2ppg). Who to choose next? (My inclination is to choose Huff).

We field 2 catchers, 4 infielders, util inf, 4 ofs, etc.

If I were to choose strictly on pts, alone, I think Ortiz would be the one, but he'd be my Util inf (an easy position to fill). If I were to choose Huff, b/o his multi pos eligibility, later on I could choose either a first baseman or 3rd baseman for UI. I could choose from the best remaining outfielder (Crawford, Pierre, Matsui, Edmonds, etc.) for my next pick.

Thoughts? Again, this is not H2H, 5X5, etc.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acapulco » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Not a single response? Is it because no one plays fantasy pt? Have I given too much information? Or not enough?

Does anyone think I should pick an outfielder next: Crawford or Pierre?
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whitesox04champs » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:58 pm

acapulco wrote:Not a single response? Is it because no one plays fantasy pt? Have I given too much information? Or not enough?

Does anyone think I should pick an outfielder next: Crawford or Pierre?

Make it simpler ;-D

People here(including me) dont like to spend more than a minute analyzing a post. Instead either make easier to read(organized) or just make it one simple question.
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acapulco » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:02 pm

Thanks for the advice. I thought that if it was too simple, the advice I'd get would be uninformed, therefore useless.
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:06 pm

acapulco wrote:Thanks for the advice. I thought that if it was too simple, the advice I'd get would be uninformed, therefore useless.

acapulco - one of the problems is that a lot of guys here dont play point style leagues, so alot of regulars wont even bother trying to answer it.

Personally, Im tempted to tell you to take Crawford, but because its a point based instead of 5x5 based, I have no idea how valuable he is. Chances are he's much more valuable in the type of leagues I play in.

I can see where you would take Huff because of his position scarcity - thats the best I could do.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acapulco » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:30 pm

Cornbread--I suspect that Crawford IS much more valuable in a 5x5. As I noted above, last season, D Ortiz outscored Crawford who outscored Huff, but not by much. Similarly, a hitter like Adam Dunn (46 hrs but with a ton of strikeouts) doesn't fare as well. He was something like 2.8 to Huff's 3.1, Crawford's 3.3, and D. Ortiz's 3.6
acapulco
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:49 pm

Why would you take Huff over Ortiz? Do you think that he would pick up enough to overtake Ortiz? I think that Ortiz should enjoy another solid year and would take him over Huff unless there's something I'm missing about the point values...even though I DO rate Huff very highly, w/ that many choices between picks, I'd have to take the solid performer over the very likely to improve. And what's to say Ortiz might not also do a bit better this year?

If I were going to pass on Ortiz for whatever theoretical or calculated reason, I think that I'd go w/ Crawford over Huff though as Crawford appears to be poised to pick up more runs via Huff than Huff will via the guys farther down. Sort of if you get Crawford you get a piece of Huff that is likely to be bigger than the piece of Crawford you get w/ Huff. Just a thought though as I like both those guys a lot.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Return to Baseball Leftovers