Disable the DL slot in Fantasy! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Disable the DL slot in Fantasy!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mordraken » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:38 pm

bleach168 wrote:But teams that are healthy abuse the system often by picking up injured players just to stash them for future use.

Then fix the abuse and not the rule that allows them to abuse it. In my league (again, a career league), I am not allowing teams to add players who are on the DL - you can only add them when healthy, and they will be considered on waivers until then.
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Disable the DL slot in Fantasy!

Postby bleach168 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:40 pm

slomo007 wrote:I think you guys are ignoring this part of his logic:

bleach168 wrote:All a commissioner has to do is eliminate the DL spot and replace it with a regular roster spot. I've done this the last two years in my leagues and have had no complaints.

Thank you.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 pm

Mordraken wrote:
bleach168 wrote:But teams that are healthy abuse the system often by picking up injured players just to stash them for future use.

Then fix the abuse and not the rule that allows them to abuse it. In my league (again, a career league), I am not allowing teams to add players who are on the DL - you can only add them when healthy, and they will be considered on waivers until then.

I don't run Yahoo. I can't fix that.

If I were to institute a rule like yours, I would have to constantly watch other owners in the league to make sure they don't break that rule. Then if they do break the rule, how would I go about punishing them?
Last edited by bleach168 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Re: Disable the DL slot in Fantasy!

Postby Nat Uralice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Nat Uralice wrote:
slomo007 wrote:I think you guys are ignoring this part of his logic:

bleach168 wrote:All a commissioner has to do is eliminate the DL spot and replace it with a regular roster spot. I've done this the last two years in my leagues and have had no complaints.

Then what's the difference?

Adding an EXTRA roster spot in its place. It's actually not a bad idea. :-?

I will say that replacing is a lot better than simply eliminating, but is the difference really that huge? DL stashing doesn't seem to be a rampant problem. Most DLers don't have big impacts upon return, however there are few cases (Bay, Walker). And why would anyone leave someone on the DL when they're eligible to come back? If you're doing that, then why not simply drop him and forget it. DL spots just seem to help more then they hinder, IMO.
Last edited by Nat Uralice on Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 pm

I think it's a brilliant idea and I hope to implement it in all my leagues in the next year.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm

If you add a roster spot then it still puts players at a disadvantage if a player goes on the real life DL. You have one less active player than everybody else. The point of having a DL slot is to keep things at a fairly level playing field, GP wise, if a team loses one or two players to injury. Simply adding another roster spot might doesn't solve that at all.

I'm sure it would be easier on you if no leagues allowed DL spots but that isn't going to happen so you shouldn't sorry about it :-D

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Nat Uralice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:44 pm

Mordraken wrote:

Agreed. It's not hard at all to moniter since transactions usually appear on the league homepage.
Can't worry about tomorrow's pain tonight.
Nat Uralice
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:47 pm

LBJackal wrote:If you add a roster spot then it still puts players at a disadvantage if a player goes on the real life DL. You have one less active player than everybody else. The point of having a DL slot is to keep things at a fairly level playing field, GP wise, if a team loses one or two players to injury. Simply adding another roster spot might doesn't solve that at all.

I'm sure it would be easier on you if no leagues allowed DL spots but that isn't going to happen so you shouldn't sorry about it :-D

My thoughts it exactly. I see no reason to get rid of it. Its not like abuse is that bad. Anyone could do it, and no one forced you to drop a player that got hurt instead of stashing him like you should have. I don't even see that big of a difference between a DL slot and an extra roster spot.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:48 pm

LBJackal wrote:If you add a roster spot then it still puts players at a disadvantage if a player goes on the real life DL. You have one less active player than everybody else. The point of having a DL slot is to keep things at a fairly level playing field, GP wise, if a team loses one or two players to injury. Simply adding another roster spot might doesn't solve that at all.

Yes, but since healthy teams can abuse the current Yahoo DL system, the spirit of the DL spot is compromised anyway.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Mordraken » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:57 pm

bleach168 wrote:If I were to institute a rule like yours, I would have to constantly watch other owners in the league to make sure they don't break that rule. Then if they do break the rule, how would I go about punishing them?

You're right... but as commissioner I take that responsability. I check my box-scores every day, so taking a look at the transactions is not hard. Other owners are also aware, and if one of them notices an abuse, then they will let me know.

How do you fix it? I am averse to punishment, so what I normally would do when owners break the rules is undo whatever they had done, and don't give them credit for making the change. For example - if an owner drops a healthy player that could have played for a "DL" player, I would not allow him to retroactivley put that healthy player in his lineup. A possible penalty would be charging him for the waiver wire move (which we have limits on) but I'm not that mean ;).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers