DOES SIZE MATTER FOR PITCHERS? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

DOES SIZE MATTER FOR PITCHERS?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

DOES SIZE MATTER FOR PITCHERS?

yes
7
30%
no
16
70%
 
Total votes : 23

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:42 pm

DK wrote:
CameronCrazy wrote:
DK wrote:
CameronCrazy wrote:in the long run, LOGIC says it has to


Who's logic? Yours?

How about this: We create a league with just you and me in it. I'll take Pedro Martinez and Billy Wagner. YOU take Brian Lawrence and Jamie Moyer. At the end of the year, whoever is better wins. ;D


that


So you agree to those terms? I take Pedro, Wagner, Kazmir, and Santana; you take Lawrence, Moyer, Sabathia, and Colon? 8-o


DK i wouldnt do it, hes goin kill you :-o :-b
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5820
Joined: 16 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Magical Valley Of Love And Happiness

Postby DK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:42 pm

CameronCrazy wrote:i can admit i am wrong
i said a poll would show the truth... but there has only been 11 votes
i just dont see how pedro will improve to win 4 more cy youngs and last until 40


I never said he'd do the exact same thing Clemens does; quite the contrary, Pedro has said he doesn't want to pitch to 40. But I'm saying that he's still a great pitcher, and will continue to be a great pitcher for a few more years.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:44 pm

I vote for DK. Whatever side he takes.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 275)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby CameronCrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:48 pm

Dk you win. i concede.
i would beat you in a fantasy league though ;-D
durham=we ghetto
CameronCrazy
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 158
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:49 pm

CameronCrazy wrote:Dk you win. i concede.
i would beat you in a fantasy league though ;-D


Takes a big man to admit it. Lord knows I wouldn't have. :D ;D

Maybe if you were lucky. }:-)
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:15 pm

To clarify what I meant: Everything else being equal, a taller pitcher has an advantage.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3477
Joined: 10 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Detroit, MI

Postby RyanK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:36 pm

KolbSaves wrote:To clarify what I meant: Everything else being equal, a taller pitcher has an advantage.


yes, if that was what they were arguing about then, Cameron would be right. But they also need to take skill into consideration, yes you can have short (under 6 ft, since we seem to be using 6 ft as the barrier) pitchers who are finesse pitchers more so than power pitchers. but all skill aside, a taller pitcher will have more advantage than a shorter pitcher.

why do you think they have the mound raised, to help the pitchers.

it is harder for a batter to pick up the ball coming from a taller pitcher, also the taller pitcher has more of a downward motion than a shorter pitcher...


some were in there you can get pieces of logic... otherwise its just rambling
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby NZF » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:37 pm

A taller pitcher must have an advantage with leverage as a more solid framed pitcher would have an advantage with strength and maybe stamina. As we all know however, there is so much more to pitching than just leverage and strength.

Odalis Perez at 150 pounds vs Sidney Ponson at 270

Mark Hendrickson at 6 foot 9 vs Roy Oswalt at 5 foot 11
Last edited by NZF on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Postby This is the year » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:37 pm

I'd have to agree with KolbSaves here.

Biomechanics is a very complicated science. How a guy of Pedro or Billy Wagner's size can throw in the mid-high 90's is a mystery to me, but the fact is that there are many small pitchers who can light up the gun.

HOWEVER

There's loads of intuitive and anecdotal evidence to support that, all other things being equal, a taller frame can throw a ball with greater velocity. So, does size matter? Yes, and no. Larger-framed athletes are more likely to be able to throw higher speeds, but it is by no means a hard and fast rule that flamethrowers have to have big frames. You can't make a normative statement like "Guys with bigger frames should be able to throw harder" when not taking into account their mechanics, strength, etc.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 700
Joined: 9 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:38 pm

and to answer the question, no size does not matter, theres just more advantage to being taller
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 2839
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact