Find the loophole in this h2h fix: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Find the loophole in this h2h fix:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:04 pm

phunkadelic wrote:The only loophole I can see in it are that RP usually have better k/9 ratios than starters. One could stock up on closers and win all the cats now except W.

Yup... this is the loophole with that rule. If I were in this league, I'd target several of the elite SO closers (Lidge, Gagne, Wagner, etc.) and win pitching pretty much every week. Of course if many owners adopt that strategy (just like any strategy in H2H), the law of diminishing returns would kick in.
9er Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

How I get around It

Postby wyobrooke » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:59 pm

Use more categories. I don't understand why a stat-based game like fantasy baseball limits itself by only using 10 or so total categories.

I've been running H2H leagues for years now and feel like there are 23 categories that will effectively measure performance while not overly rewarding pickups.

12 Teams
35 Min IP per week
8 Pos
1 Util
4 SP
4 RP
1 P
7 Bench players
3 IL spots

Categories as follows:

PITCHING:
IP
W
L
K
BB
TB AGAINST
WHIP
ERA
CGS
HOLDS
SAVES

HITTING:
AVG
OPS
HR
RBI
R
H
TB
SB
BB
K
GIDP

FIELDING:
Fielding %

You have positive counting categories like W, K, CG, IP and negative categories like BB, L, TB against, WHIP and ERA.

5X5 sucks in my opinion and reduces fantasy to a game that you can win with an ESPN cheatsheet. Make your owners work for their wins.

Just my opinion, but I have had nothing but solid leagues with this framework.

Yolo
wyobrooke
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby WittyC » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:05 pm

I highly recommend going to a weekly update league, where rosters are locked at the beginning of the week. I've been doing this for 2 years in the league I run, and it adds a huge element of strategy to the H2H play. You are forced to make match-up decisions and can't just play all your starters every week. Plus, you have to make a speed vs. power decision at your UTIL or OF. I love playing this way, and you don't have to check your team every day (although, we all do anyways).
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:16 pm

WittyC wrote:I highly recommend going to a weekly update league, where rosters are locked at the beginning of the week. I've been doing this for 2 years in the league I run, and it adds a huge element of strategy to the H2H play. You are forced to make match-up decisions and can't just play all your starters every week. Plus, you have to make a speed vs. power decision at your UTIL or OF. I love playing this way, and you don't have to check your team every day (although, we all do anyways).

Weekly leagues are cool but I prefer daily. 1 of the reasons that I prefer FB to FF is the daily aspect. It gets me more involved. Plus, I had a problem last year where I wasn't able to access my team on the allotted day. Not that I wasn't around. It was a Yahoo issue.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby nola » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:35 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:We aren't arguing that it isn't fair, we are saying its a dumb and boring way to play. It takes the emphasis off drafting and more on who can get lucky with their 2 start starters this week.

I disagree. Nothing is more boring than being in a league where the rosters are set on draft day with little activity for six months and half the league not even paying attention.

I don't like leagues with no innings limit b/c somoene can just start as many pitchers each day as they can get their hands on. But with a limit, picking up guys with good matchups can keep you in contention. A few years back 4 of my pitchers went down. I spent nearly half the season picking up anyone starting against Detroit or Tampa and nearly pulled it out.

If there is an innings limit, who cares how they fill it? Innings are a finite resource, and if someone starts a bunch of bums, they are only hurting themselves.
nola
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers