Find the loophole in this h2h fix: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Find the loophole in this h2h fix:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:40 pm

Ohh, The age old arguement.

Those who use spot starters and those who complain about it.

There is nothing wrong with it. It the hole point. One Fantasy Player out smarting another. Is it that some Fantasy players would use that option that upsets you or is it that they have a better understanding of how the game is played.

I have nothing againt this. It's a good thing to have ways they can take advantages. It keeps them interested and it keeps them active players. It's my thought it's worse to have Players who forget about there team after the Draft.

If you are bother by getting bet by them. Then bet him at his own game or take the players away from him. If you add extra teams more Pitchers get drafted. If add 3 starting spots to the rosters. Everyone will forcus more on Drafting pitchers.

The key to it is to having players there worth playing and if there is not then it will not happen.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:49 pm

There's a difference between cycling and spot starting.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:57 pm

THE TERMINATOR wrote:Ohh, The age old arguement.

Those who use spot starters and those who complain about it.

There is nothing wrong with it. It the hole point. One Fantasy Player out smarting another. Is it that some Fantasy players would use that option that upsets you or is it that they have a better understanding of how the game is played.

I have nothing againt this. It's a good thing to have ways they can take advantages. It keeps them interested and it keeps them active players. It's my thought it's worse to have Players who forget about there team after the Draft.

If you are bother by getting bet by them. Then bet him at his own game or take the players away from him. If you add extra teams more Pitchers get drafted. If add 3 starting spots to the rosters. Everyone will forcus more on Drafting pitchers.

The key to it is to having players there worth playing and if there is not then it will not happen.

We aren't arguing that it isn't fair, we are saying its a dumb and boring way to play. It takes the emphasis off drafting and more on who can get lucky with their 2 start starters this week.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby THE TERMINATOR » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:04 pm

Yeah, But is it really luck noticeing what pitchers worth useing and what one not to use.
THE TERMINATOR
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:14 pm

Pretty much. What I did last year, I just used Roto Times 2 start week list, and then decided who had the best matchups IMO. But when you are dealing with such bad pitchers, which ones do good and which ones do bad is usually flukey at best. With transaction limits,(we are using 70 in the H2H world series, plus min and max innings at 20 and 80), you had more skill into the league.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Bobby!!! » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:44 am

My league uses yahoo. We made a rule that any pitcher you add must remain on your team for a minimum of 7 days. If you do drop a pitcher before he has spent 7 days on your team, the player you picked up to replace him must remain on your bench for 7 days.

We have a similar rule for hitters using 3 days, but that wasn't the focus of the question.

If the rule is broken more than twice, your highest ranked player according to yahoo rank must be on the bench for 7 days.

This has seemed to work pretty well. If you want to use someone in a spot start, you are stuck with them on your team for another 6 days.

Also, we limit each team to 3 roster moves per week during playoffs.
Bobby!!!
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jaydog2314 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:57 am

we also had the cycling issue in our league and while i was one of people doing(more so at the end of the year) it became a real problem in the playoffs, to the point where the majority of pitchers good and bad were on waivers or being dropped daily. while this is an old debate and no one way to say its fair or not it did piss off alot of people in my league. One way we are going to combat this issue for this years league is that since we are a money league we have added a charge per transaction. Each team will X amount of transactions free and then charged after that. So if someone wants to go thru the whole spot start or cycling it will cost them some decent money in the end. This has seemed to make most of the league happy. Just a thought if there is money involved in your league. ALSO to avoid this problem in the playoffs we are also locking rosters for the playoffs like real baseball and you will only be able to add players in one of yours goes to the DL.
"And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?"
-Homer Simpson
jaydog2314
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:46 am

I would just limit the transactions. Nothing like July rolling around and you are done. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby tms298 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:10 am

thanks guys-some excellent idea. I started this thread and for those thinking I hate cycling pitchers because I don't have the skill to do it they are incorrect. My problem is that half our league is on the west coast and the other half in the east. It is an unfair advantage as those on the west coast at midnight (a reasonable hour) are awake when yahoo changes days, making it possible to pick up the new pitchers, whereas those on the east have to get up at 3 am to do the same. It was an incident like this in the playoffs two years ago that sparked this whole debate-as we all realize it is ridiculous to set your alarm at 3am to pick up that hot kansas city or tampa bay starter who had 6 strikeouts last time he pitched.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby phunkadelic » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:40 pm

The only loophole I can see in it are that RP usually have better k/9 ratios than starters. One could stock up on closers and win all the cats now except W.
phunkadelic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers