Find the loophole in this h2h fix: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Find the loophole in this h2h fix:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cannonarm21 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:59 pm

I see exactly what you are getting at, we had a similiar problem.

I feel it really hurts the teams with strong pitching staffs. People could almost always catch you in W's, K's and possibly saves. So even if your pitching staff is a dominating one you could only win 3-2 or even lose 2-3.
A team with a strong offense does not have that problem. It is not possible to pick up a ton of players to chase any offensive categories. A person may argue steals, but in my league at least anybody with any stolen base potential is not a free agent.

I agree with K/9 and also STRONGLY suggest adding losses as a category.
cannonarm21
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tms298 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:31 pm

You can't really cycle for anything as far as offensive categories go because most players play every day. There are no off days that you would want to fill with waiver wire players just for extra numbers.

I'm not sure about adding losses because that would leave us with 5 offensive and 6 pitching categories. Additionally, a win or a loss in baseball is such a luck stat. Look at some of the losses and no decisions that Oliver Perez got last year.

We play in a yahoo private league. I wish they would just let us pick wins minus losses as a category.
tms298
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby BGbootha » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:47 pm

One thing ew did in one of my league is switch from striaght wins to Wins minus losses, and then switch from K to K/9. But with this we also found that you have to set a minumum inning per week or what we did is a minumum 5 starters per week.
BGbootha
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:51 pm

Set a transaction limit and set a mininum weekly innings. Its the only way to keep H2H to being a ridiculous hitter and closer whoring match with 1 or 2 good starters and the rest 2 start spotters.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wildkwokie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:58 pm

make an innings pitched limit.
wildkwokie
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ondeckb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:07 pm

Suggest to everyone to start picking up his better pitchers he's cycling off of waivers....when he starts seeing these bad boys disappearing, he'll stop. :-D
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 4Pack » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:49 pm

Maybe I am a little slow...this being Monday and all....but would someone please explain to me how adding the K/9 category instead of K's will make a difference? Unless I misunderstood the question or am not understanding how K/9 works? If the opposing manager is indeed recycling pitchers at that rate then their is a real possibility that he will also have gotten 40-50 more IP each week from his pitchers. Will not his teams K's per 9 innings pitched also go up quite a bit?

The only thing I can think of is the the K/9 stat is for each indivdual pitcher. Is that the way it works? If so....that would be a great fix to the problem.
4Pack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:59 pm

In my league, we just have a player add limit as others suggested here. Also set is a weekly IP minimum. Also, we have special playoff rules on player adds so no one saves all their moves for the playoffs. We're still tweaking the playoff restrictions, so I can't say exactly what we do there just yet.

Unfortunately, Yahoo doesn't allow a weekly innings maximum, or else I would seriously consider that. That's the case in their free game, anyways. I'm too poor for the pay leagues.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Andy1234 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:43 pm

Maybe lock in a starting line-up at the begining of each week. Downfall is its less active and if an injury happens at the begining of the week, OUCH. I don't like it myself, just throwing out ideas.
I believe there ought to be a constitutional amendment outlawing Astroturf and the designated hitter. -Crash Davis

Stewie : [watching a baseball game] Why does that man drop his club before he runs? I would bring it with me!
Andy1234
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Amazinz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:15 pm

4Pack wrote:Maybe I am a little slow...this being Monday and all....but would someone please explain to me how adding the K/9 category instead of K's will make a difference? Unless I misunderstood the question or am not understanding how K/9 works? If the opposing manager is indeed recycling pitchers at that rate then their is a real possibility that he will also have gotten 40-50 more IP each week from his pitchers. Will not his teams K's per 9 innings pitched also go up quite a bit?

The only thing I can think of is the the K/9 stat is for each indivdual pitcher. Is that the way it works? If so....that would be a great fix to the problem.

No K/9 is a ratio used for the entire team. Cycling pitchers will not inflate K/9 that way it does with a cumulative category.

The cycling team will get more IP but that's the point since he won't be able to sustain a decent K rate while cycling pitchers of the WW.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers