Brandon Backe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Brandon Backe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Backe

Postby oakiedragon » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 pm

I was just wondering what people thought about Backe. He came from nowhere last year, and pitched extremely well in the playoffs. How do you think he will do this year? and do you think he'll be good over time (as a pickup in a deep keeper)? Thanks
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:35 pm

I wouldn't say he came from nowhere, he was the ace of my minor league staff in MVP Baseball ;).

I think he's poised for a solid year, and the Astros must too if they let Miller go. Don't know where he's been going in most drafts, but if you can pick him up in the later rounds he could end up being a bargain.
Free Bagel
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby oakiedragon » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:54 pm

well actually im asking because hes being offered to me in a trade. Im in a Very Deep Keeper league where pitching is very hard to come by. The offer proposed to me is J.D. Drew and Brandon Backe for my Rd.2 and Rd.4 picks. The owner who has drew, is almost certainly going to have to drop him to meet the off-season 50 mil. cap limit. So i might be able to get Drew for less, i just am trying to figure out if backe is worth it. The Rd.2 holds value because i could pick up a top minor from this years draft with it i.e. Verlander,Bailey,Butler,etc. i just havent found any real conclusive stuff on Backe yet.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dmville » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:15 pm

IMO, Backe will be one of the best #4 SP's this year and will probably be a very capable #3 man once one of Clemens, Oswalt or Pettite goes down. He stood up well to the pressure last year and wasn't awed by the big leagues the way most late season callups are. Coaches have said he has been studying his game tapes all winter.

Also, he is a Galveston boy I think, so a bit of a hometown hero down there. Hopefully, they don't build his head up too much.

I won't comment on whether the trade is good for ya or not, but even if you're not high on him but the trade makes sense for ya overall, at least take em and come July he'll have grabbed some headlines and I'd bet he'll be good trade bait to get someone you might really want.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:19 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I wouldn't say he came from nowhere, he was the ace of my minor league staff in MVP Baseball

LOL! Thats classic. He was my ace of AAA too. This year I'm giving a shot at the rotation.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby NZF » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:24 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
I think he's poised for a solid year, and the Astros must too if they let Miller go.

I think you will discover early this season the real reason the Astros let Wade Miller go ;-)

Backe is not worth a roster spot in normal sized leagues. However, he's worth picking up off the WW for the occasional spot start, when he has a favourable match-up.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers