100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predictions for Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:02 pm

DannyMyron89 wrote:
DK wrote:Yawn...

Schilling had a better 2004.

Pedro had a better 2003, 2002, 2001 (if you normalize his stats), 2000, 1999, 1998... etc.

Schilling's in the AL East, in a hitter's park.

Pedro's in the NL East, in a pitcher's park.

I'm so tired of this argument.

your clearly bias to pedro, if he was a Yankee i bet you would be bashing him on how his arm wont hold up...

anyway your wrong because in 01 schilling destroyed pedro. this is off the top of my head but i bealieve pedro only pitched alittle over 100 innings and failed to make the playoffs....

Schilling won over 20 games, ridiculious strikeout numbers and dominated in the playoffs, doing something pedro never did and never will do....win a world series MVP....

that being said Pedro is gonna go down as one of the top ten greatest pitchers of all time, Schilling wont and i know pedro has had many better years then schilling, but this year im taking schilling...

It is funny when people say it's just because I'm biased. Yeah, if Pedro was a Yankee, I'd be bashing him constantly. Just like I do Randy Johnson and Alex Rodriguez. ;-7

In 2001, like I said, if you normalize Pedro's stats, he had a better year. I never said he outright did.

Schilling had a 2.98 ERA for an ERA+ of 154 and a 10.27 K/9. Pedro had a 2.39 ERA for an ERA+ of 189 and a 12.57 K/9. If you normalize the stats, Pedro had a better year.

Oh, right, I forgot. Winning the WS MVP automatically means you're better than someone who hasn't. I'll make sure to tell Livan Hernandez, Orel Hersheiser, Bob Turley, Mickey Lolich, and Larry Sherry that they're all better than Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Barry Bonds, and Pedro Martinez.

You can have Schilling, I'll take Pedro, I'll finish first and you can come in fourth. ;D
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mordraken » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:05 pm

DK wrote:Oh, right, I forgot. Winning the WS MVP automatically means you're better than someone who hasn't. I'll make sure to tell Livan Hernandez, Orel Hersheiser, Bob Turley, Mickey Lolich, and Larry Sherry that they're all better than Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Barry Bonds, and Pedro Martinez.

Don't forget Pat Borders!!! :P

(you forgot to do the /sarcasm)
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:17 pm

DK wrote:
DannyMyron89 wrote:
DK wrote:
Oh, right, I forgot. Winning the WS MVP automatically means you're better than someone who hasn't. I'll make sure to tell Livan Hernandez, Orel Hersheiser, Bob Turley, Mickey Lolich, and Larry Sherry that they're all better than Ernie Banks, Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Barry Bonds, and Pedro Martinez.

You can have Schilling, I'll take Pedro, I'll finish first and you can come in fourth. ;D

Brutal man, just brutal.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:18 pm

I have Pedro as my 5th ranked pitcher. High 2s, low 3s ERA, good whip, 250 ks, 16 wins. But I think he could miss at least a little bit of time at some point during the season (moreso than other pitchers.)
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HollywoodHershiserz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:13 pm

Hey Dukie, looks like you just discovered this site yesterday and have posted more than half of your 90+ posts on this thread alone...take a look around, there ARE other topics. :-D
JD Drew: 2006 NL MVP
HollywoodHershiserz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:33 pm

I hope those that have Pedro around 2.75 or lower do not do their projections based on those figures. I would be much more conservative and anything better is gravy
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:41 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:2.75 era, 250 k's, 19-8, another Cy for his collection, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sorry, Tim Hudson has the Cy Young wrapped up already this year.

Are you kidding???
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HollywoodHershiserz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:47 pm

Pedro offers you his protection.
JD Drew: 2006 NL MVP
HollywoodHershiserz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:06 pm

Sorry, Tim Hudson has the Cy Young wrapped up already this year.

When was the last time a sp won a Cy with a K rate under 5?

Pedro should be around a 3 era, although i think a 2.30 is wishful thinking. His fastball has slowed a bit, but he ranked in the top 10 in AL in % of curves and changeups, so he's adapting. The move to the NL was worth .37 runs last year. Going from Fenway to Shea will also help. And going from the highest scoring division (ALEast), to the lowest scoring division (NLEast) will help. Pedro got in trouble last year with the hr, his g/f ratio wasn't good. More grounders, and a bigger park will help. As far as size, no doubt a body like Prior or Clemens is preferred. But that still doesn't mean a skinny guy like Pedro can't be the exception. As far as going 7, only Schilling and RJ really do. Pedro went deeper into games then Prior did last year.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:24 am

I don't think that Pedro suddenly lost speed last year - that had already happened a few years ago, and he's already proven that he can adjust to it.

The problem was the homeruns. And the Yankees - they'd faced him so many times that they seemed to have finally figured him out. (Okay, I'll admit that this isn't perfect logic, since A-Rod and Sheff hadn't been around very long...but just bear with me.)

Now throw him into Shea. Not only is Shea better overall for pitchers, but it's especially notorious for cutting down on homers. Plus, in contrast to AL hitters who have faced him a million times, NL hitters will be experiencing Pedro for the first time (except for those few who were around when he was on Montreal). So I see no reason why he won't return to his previous form, assuming he doesn't get injured.

So that leaves the question: will he actually get injured? My guess is that the Mets won't risk overworking him, since they just laid down $53 million on him. Also, their team probably won't be playoff-competitive until '06 or '07, so they'd have no reason to risk ruining him now.

Overall, I'd expect a great year.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers