Predictions for Pedro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Predictions for Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mordraken » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Or another way to look at it...

Pedro - 5'9" at 180 lbs = 2.60 lbs per inch
Nolan Ryan = 6'2" at 195 = 2.62 lbs per inch

Pedro basically has the same body shape as Nolan Ryan, and at this point in his career, one could argue that Pedro is doing better than Ryan at the same time (based on ERA and WHIP).
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 382
Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:2.75 era, 250 k's, 19-8, another Cy for his collection, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Sorry, Tim Hudson has the Cy Young wrapped up already this year.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 10983
Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Bleachers at Wrigley Field

Postby DK » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:23 pm

CameronCrazy wrote:what, pedro doesnt ever go beyond 100 pitches. and i am sorry that you do not know what you are talking about with size.


I'm sorry you're ignorant. Call it even.

Pedro in 2004 had an ERA, in 37 innings of work, of 3.16 after 91 pitches, including a 1.69 ERA after 105 pitches.

Pedro in 2003 had an ERA of 2.55 after 91 pitches, in 25.2 innings of work.

Pedro in 2002 had an ERA of 1.74 after 91 pitches, in 31 innings of work.

Pedro in 2001 was injured, and didn't pitch enough innings for it to really matter.

Last one: Pedro in his career has an ERA of 2.55 after 91 pitches, in 414 innings of work. His career ERA is 2.71.

So yeah, it's a myth.

CameronCrazy wrote:how can you say it does not matter? i grant you that early in ones career it is not important. but later size is huge. all colleges now discriminate against anyone under 6"0 tall.


That doesn't mean they are right in doing it.

CameronCrazy wrote:pedro and wagner were blessed with amazing arms, but when they go there is no way to return. rocket and gibson were able to revamp their careers because not only were they blessed with great arms but big bodies? i will prove you wrong in a poll.


Gibson was 6'1", 195. That's the same size as Brian Lawrence, who throws 85 on a good day, and slightly larger than Jamie Moyer, whose fastball looks like it's spinning through molasses.

Prove me wrong in a poll? Yes, because polls are the be-all-end-all.

I'd much rather have skill than size.
Image
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9533
Joined: 22 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: on deck

Postby CameronCrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:25 pm

a poll will show the consensus. pedro does have skill but he will fade much earlier than a rocket of schill. c'mon man you have to see this.
durham=we ghetto
CameronCrazy
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 158
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby watts1931 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:31 pm

we could go on and on arguing about size, but the fact of the matter is that baseball isnt all about size. It's proven. It is the only sport that skill dominates size. Pedro may be small, and his skill may diminish but not this season. I give him about 3-5 years. Hes still only 33 and he hasnt shown signs of losing his arm yet. plus, the facts are proven in this thread. the toughest park pedro wlil have to throw in more than others in the NL is philly. Cameron, I think your exaggerating too much with size and pedro losing his stuff.
watts1931
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 169
Joined: 22 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CameronCrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:49 pm

watts1931 wrote:we could go on and on arguing about size, but the fact of the matter is that baseball isnt all about size. It's proven. It is the only sport that skill dominates size. Pedro may be small, and his skill may diminish but not this season. I give him about 3-5 years. Hes still only 33 and he hasnt shown signs of losing his arm yet. plus, the facts are proven in this thread. the toughest park pedro wlil have to throw in more than others in the NL is philly. Cameron, I think your exaggerating too much with size and pedro losing his stuff.


will any red sock fans refute that pedro has not shown signs of his arm diminishing?
durham=we ghetto
CameronCrazy
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 158
Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Bill James talks about a transition period for great pitchers - a year in which they realize that they're losing their overpowering stuff. But what makes them great is that they can adjust to not being the young fireballer anymore.

Pedro still has 4 plus pitches and he knows how to pitch. Going to Shea will only help.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5000
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Not here.

Postby Jivedude » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:14 pm

How many wins will be blown for Pedro though, with guys like Mike DeJean and Felix Heredia behind him?
Image
Jivedude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1517
Joined: 19 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 1930's Germany

Postby Mordraken » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Jivedude wrote:How many wins will be blown for Pedro though, with guys like Mike DeJean and Felix Heredia behind him?


10, and he'll still end up with 15 wins :)
Mordraken
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 382
Joined: 24 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby DannyMyron89 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm

DK wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:FWIW, even though he's older AND more decrepit, Schilling had a significantly better year all around than Pedro did. To me, that suggest that while Pedro can be ok, he's not worth the pick of the round he'll likely be drafted in. If he goes nuts and picks it up I'll be pleased for him...but I'm not willing to gamble perhaps a 3-5 round pick on the question marks.

Just like I'm really steering clear of Kerry Wood who, like Pedro, can be up and down SEVERAL TIMES in the same way.


Yawn...

Schilling had a better 2004.

Pedro had a better 2003, 2002, 2001 (if you normalize his stats), 2000, 1999, 1998... etc.

Schilling's in the AL East, in a hitter's park.

Pedro's in the NL East, in a pitcher's park.

I'm so tired of this argument.


your clearly bias to pedro, if he was a Yankee i bet you would be bashing him on how his arm wont hold up...

anyway your wrong because in 01 schilling destroyed pedro. this is off the top of my head but i bealieve pedro only pitched alittle over 100 innings and failed to make the playoffs....

Schilling won over 20 games, ridiculious strikeout numbers and dominated in the playoffs, doing something pedro never did and never will do....win a world series MVP....

that being said Pedro is gonna go down as one of the top ten greatest pitchers of all time, Schilling wont and i know pedro has had many better years then schilling, but this year im taking schilling...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 265
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Aug. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Tampa Bay at Toronto
(1:07 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Boston
(1:35 pm)
Baltimore at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
San Francisco at Washington
(4:05 pm)
Houston at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Philadelphia
(7:05 pm)
Pittsburgh at Milwaukee
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
Miami at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Texas
(8:25 pm)
LA Angels at Oakland
(9:05 pm)
NY Mets at LA Dodgers
(9:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact