Retire in peace - Rusty Greer - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Retire in peace - Rusty Greer

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Retire in peace - Rusty Greer

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:18 am

My fanboy affinity for Rusty Greer started way back in about 1994 when he first was called up by the Rangers. I was/am in a deep league, and desperate for talent, so when he was recalled I pounced on this guy I'd never heard of.

I started admiring his skills at the plate, and then how he played the game in the highlights and on the occasional Mariners game vs Texas. He really played the game how it was meant to be played and unfortunately his body was more Griffey than Edmonds.

In 1996 I sent him a letter and asked him to autograph a card for me. After a long wait I was duly rewarded with perfectly placed auto on a 1996 Upper Deck base card.

I wanted to collect every card ever made of him. Going the Ebay route ended up costing me a lot of money - the number of bidders and horde of Texans that loved him a true testament to his mark on the game - albeit a shortened career.

Here's to you, Rusty! Thanks for the memories! ;-D ;-D ;-D
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:27 am

Did he trip after the speech and need to get stretchered out?
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers