All everyone in here talks about is - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All everyone in here talks about is

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby tvv44 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:31 am

pokerplaya wrote:What I don't understand is this general agreement that Auction leagues are much more difficult than straight draft leagues. I have now done both, and enjoy both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but the fact of the matter is that what makes a league difficult or not is the owners you surround yourself with. Two of my top leagues (of 4) are with Cafe members only, and let me tell you that when you have 13 other owners, in a fairly deep league, picking guys off your cheat sheet like they own a copy - it's not easy. Same thing in my auction league - a few steals, but by and large everyone has a game plan, and knows exactly what they are doing.

Bottom line, it's not what format you draft in, but who you are playing with that makes a league what it is, IMO.

I agree with pokerplaya, I don't care what kind of league your in...the level of your competition is what makes a league difficult or not.
tvv44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Joe Mauer » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:47 am

AcidRock23 wrote:well, one of the less prepared owners bailed this year so we COULD give it a whirl but I anticipate that there'd be a 'liberium veto' if I tell them it'll take 6-8 hours. 3-4 hours is probably likely for our group as it currently stands.

Thanks for the clarifications and answers though!!

It depends on how efficiently you run your draft. For us, we all go out to eat and get a seperate room to ourselves. We sit in a circle and we have under 1 minute to throw out a name for bidding once the bidding has ended on the previous player (that rotates in a circle fashion, starting with the winner from last season). This makes sure owners are prepared to throw out a name, and not holding up the draft. If their minute expires then the next person to the left of them throws out a name. When you bid on a player you have to keep one hand in the air to signify you have bid and are still in the running for the player. Once you drop out of the bidding you must drop your hand. This is a clear visual for the group on who is still in. Once you drop your hand and are out then you can chow down on your food until the next player is up for bidding. And so on.

In that 12 team, 22 man roster league it took roughly 4 hours to get the draft done with a short break. ;-D

But the key here is someone who will keep the draft on track and everyone accountable at all times. ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:56 am

Sounds good however, we may have some additional distractions and trouble finding a spot like that as we are in Champaign and are likely to have some basketball goin' on that day. Given that no one has done an auction draft before I don't think that I can sell the league on it as there will be a couple of guys who would not be as prepared.

I'll shoot around some mail to the more active folks and see what they think though. Those rules would make a big difference.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby tlef316 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:10 pm

im doing my first auction right now(and poorly i might add) Its ok, but i will never convert over to it permenantly. I like the rush i get from nabbing a sleeper in the 18th round or grabbing a value pick who has fallen too far. To me, finding these types of players is huge and requires tons of research and strategy. Personally, i think id become homicidal if every time i said something like "18.5 Hank Blalock" (2 years ago) some jackass could just say "$2" with this look on their face :-D and steal my sleeper.

Our 12 team 5x5 H2h league of cafe members is about as competitive as it gets, and is totally fulfilling for me. To each his own i guess.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:15 pm

pokerplaya wrote:Bottom line, it's not what format you draft in, but who you are playing with that makes a league what it is, IMO.

very true.......
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:16 pm

Auction leagues are tougher to form because generally you have to get 10-12 guys together in person. There is no good format online that I have ever seen as IMs blow and posts to boards for bidding over long periods of time are pretty brutal also.

Also, auctiins are a lot about personality and psychology. Knowing the tendencies of your opponents is a major advantage.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers