All everyone in here talks about is - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All everyone in here talks about is

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

All everyone in here talks about is

Postby crapshooter » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:13 am

Everyone always talks about rounds that players should be drafted in. Are there really that few of us who do an auction draft? It would be nice to see some post about the values of players especially in straight league auction drafts.
Why do so many people do the draft? Just because it's so much easier and you don't have to know as much about the players?
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:56 am

I was just thinking that this might be a better idea for our team selection process. Does it take a lot longer to bid on the players or does it move at about the same pace. A lot of us are 'family guys' whose spouses are pretty much used to the 4 hours or so for a draft but might get squirrelly if it were to take 8 hours for an auction type of draft. I still have about a month to 'sell' the idea if it is worth it and I do think that it would likely result in a bit more parity although w/ a live draft, I think that works out pretty well but there are always teams that 'forget' a position and end up struggling w/ it all year or whatever and this would likely cure that.

Are there any good sites w/ rules for an auction? Thanks!! I was reading a bit of that RotoSpin site that someone posted a link to yesterday and they had a nice article w/ some pro auction angles. I'll have to see what I can dig up perhaps....
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:55 am

I also wonder about the leagues people are in. I am in a 20-team mixed keeper league, and I know I am far in the minority. That's why I rarely ask others on their valuation for my league - they have no experience.

The feeling I get is that most are in Yahoo-type leagues. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, in fact I participate in a couple every year too. It baffles me though how some people can be so rabid about fantasy without money or bragging rights amongst peers. What good is bragging rights amongst strangers? :-?

I just try to glean what useful information I can find like the Shawn Green topic last week - that was excellent.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)

Postby NY Pinstripes » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:15 am

I am in an auction/draft league.

The first stage is an auction where each team has $100 to bid for players. Since it is a keeper league,teams each year will have different amounts of money to spend depending on the players they purchased the year before (that determines the number of year you keep the player). It is a free market, where some players get way over valued or under valued (especially at the end). You can only have 10 players on your team at the end of this phase, so you cannot load up on a bunch of $1 players.

The next phase is a straight draft, 15 rounds (25 man roster). Our league has 16 teams and the drafting is done in person. You most definitely have to have an understanding wife/girlfriends because the draft usually takes 6+ hours. Our commisioner puts on a big spread so it is alot of fun.

These types of leagues are great, but you need a ton of time. ;-D
NY Pinstripes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby nikku88 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:24 am

I heard only about 20 or 30% do auction drafts.
As for playing with friends, if I ever get any, then I will try. ;-D
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:25 am

Here's the thing guys - because so many people frequent the cafe, their has to be some kind of standardization, and since 12 team roto 5x5 snake draft leagues seem to be the most common, thats what most of the advice is catered towards.

I am a fan of auction leagues and fully believe they are a step above anything else. Unfortunately they do take much longer than live snake drafts. Over the last yr you can get an udea that auction leagues are gaining popularity.

As for $ values instead of rankings - absolutely agree with you there. Value is something you must understand when playing in competitive fantasy leagues - not the rankings themselves, but how much more valuable is Poujols than Arod - strictly by the numbers.

I like to use Rototimes value calculaotr as a default because its free and when people like Sticky have questions regarding a 20 team league or 7x7 scoring I can point them in that direction and they can enter in their non-standard league crtiteria and get a basis from which to begin from when analyzing their draft strategy. Now, I dont use their projections, but what I can do is say look - if player x gets numbers similar to this, then he will be worth roughly $...

Most people I assume dont even go that far, but I cant help but think its fantasy 101 when talking about player values.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:41 am

Another question I thought of was how closely the "IRL" values that players go for will correspond to "predicted" values of players in the available sources. I enjoy reading about this stuff so I will allocate much of my free time until the draft boning up on anything that I come across and would have little problem diversifying my 'research' to include values.

There are a couple of people in our league (12 teams, H2H, we are all pretty good friends but we also play for $$$/ trashtalking...) who are militantly opposed to doing much research, other than watching BT avidly and reading the ESPN mag fantasy issue (Of course, I do that too so I can anticipate their likely variances from my opinions on players...muwahahaha) so they might be a bit lost and 'throw off' an auction by overbidding during the early rounds (or being bid up by fiendish Machiavellians... :-) ). I am the commish so I COULD dictate something but it is not as much fun if people don't wholeheartedly get into it so I might just blow it off.

Re the time, exactly how much longer does an auction draft take?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:01 am

[quote="AcidRock23"]Another question I thought of was how closely the "IRL" values that players go for will correspond to "predicted" values of players in the available sources. I enjoy reading about this stuff so I will allocate much of my free time until the draft boning up on anything that I come across and would have little problem diversifying my 'research' to include values.

There are a couple of people in our league (12 teams, H2H, we are all pretty good friends but we also play for $$$/ trashtalking...) who are militantly opposed to doing much research, other than watching BT avidly and reading the ESPN mag fantasy issue (Of course, I do that too so I can anticipate their likely variances from my opinions on players...muwahahaha) so they might be a bit lost and 'throw off' an auction by overbidding during the early rounds (or being bid up by fiendish Machiavellians... :-) ). I am the commish so I COULD dictate something but it is not as much fun if people don't wholeheartedly get into it so I might just blow it off.

Re the time, exactly how much longer does an auction draft take?[/quote]..that can really vary...it depends on how well your auction draft is run....then it depends on the auction style.....then it depends on owner knowledge..so there are many variables that will effect the length of your auction draft....I have found that it takes 6-8 hrs to do our NL only auction. That includes a couple of breaks for lunch and restrooms time. So in a roundabout way I would say that a 4hr snake is gonna take at least 6 to 8 hours to complete.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 474)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:06 am

What I don't understand is this general agreement that Auction leagues are much more difficult than straight draft leagues. I have now done both, and enjoy both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, but the fact of the matter is that what makes a league difficult or not is the owners you surround yourself with. Two of my top leagues (of 4) are with Cafe members only, and let me tell you that when you have 13 other owners, in a fairly deep league, picking guys off your cheat sheet like they own a copy - it's not easy. Same thing in my auction league - a few steals, but by and large everyone has a game plan, and knows exactly what they are doing.

Bottom line, it's not what format you draft in, but who you are playing with that makes a league what it is, IMO.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:27 am

well, one of the less prepared owners bailed this year so we COULD give it a whirl but I anticipate that there'd be a 'liberium veto' if I tell them it'll take 6-8 hours. 3-4 hours is probably likely for our group as it currently stands.

Thanks for the clarifications and answers though!!
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers