Hunter S. Thompson killed himself today. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Hunter S. Thompson killed himself today.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:21 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
DieHardCubbie wrote:I think I have read about every book he had published at least once...I think "The Rum Diary" was probalby my favorite... :-)
The Rum Diary is in production to be made into a movie now. Depp signed on to play Thompson again. It is supposed to be out later this year. :-)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/

Looks like it is going to have a pretty good cast...Depp. Josh Hartnett, Benicio Del Toro, Nick Nolte.... ;-D

the web site made it out like there was some production problems though...I hope it does get made....thanks for the info... ;-D

BTW...CNN has run a pretty good bio of Hunter a couple of times today...if interested...might want to check it out... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:22 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I wonder what Garry Trudeau is going to do.

One of my first thoughts as well.

:,-(
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 pm

Who?
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby GEBaseball3 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:58 pm

Pardon my stupidity but i saw this on ESPN.com, what does he have to do with sports? Im only a teen and have never heard of him, just heard he shot himself in the head, what a way to go out :-[
GEBaseball3
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:07 am

He was a writer. He wrote, most famously, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." He wrote in later years over at ESPN - he was a sports reporter when he was younger, before he got deeply, deeply into drugs.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CubsFan7724 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:11 am

One of the most important lessons in life: Guns and drugs do not mix. At all. What a nut though.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:54 am

This is taken from the IMDB:

Hunter S. Thompson's ashes will be fired across his Colorado estate by a cannon, in keeping with his final wishes. The journalist and author committed suicide at his secure compound in Woody Creek on Sunday. He was 67. The Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas author wanted a simple, but bizarre funeral, during which his body is cremated and his ashes blasted across the ranch, according to his lawyer George Tobia Jr. Thompson's friend, journalist Troy Hooper explains, "I believe he wanted to be shot out of a cannon. I understand it's in his will. That's Hunter's style. That's how he would want it. He was a big fan of bonfires and explosions and anything that went bang and I'm sure he'd like to go bang as well."
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DieHardCubbie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:14 am

That is fitting for the type of lifestyle he lived... B-)

I have been reading back thru a couple of his books that I have..and it is eerie how dark and methodic his rants and actions were....I guess the drugs will do that to a person...it is just a waste of a gift to end up this way...but he will live on in his writings...
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:16 pm

"Simple, but bizarre."

I realize this is no laughing matter, but I think I've found a new favorite phrase...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WharfRat » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:11 am

I read today in some article I can't find now that there are piles and piles of unpublished HST material. These include the 3rd volume of the Gonzo Letters (to follow Proud Highway and Fear and Loathing in America, already out), essays and a couple manuscripts for books. Some of it will be released eventually.

I also read some speculation that he was racked with depression over the current state of affairs in the US. When Dubya eked out a second term, HST became very depressed, particularly because the type of young people's movement against Bush that he had envisioned and hoped for, a la the 60s, didn't materialize, and it was almost like he lost the faith. For a guy as passionate and patriotic as Hunter, that must have been tough. But then again, he might have been too blitzed to know what he was doing. Hell, it might have been an accident. We'll never know.

"There goes one of God's own prototypes." Vaya con dios, brother.
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk