Scott Rolen (I need an explanation) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Scott Rolen (I need an explanation)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:09 am

A-Rod 1.1 Too early
Rolen 2.6 Too early
Beltre 2.10 Too Early
Ramirez 2.11 Too Early
Chavez 4.1 Good Pick
Mora 4.3 Ok
Huff 4.12 Too Early
C Jones 5.2 Way Too Early
Blalock 5.3 Steal
Wright 8.12 Could be good value
Lowell 9.1 Good value
Last edited by curious_george_43545 on Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CameronCrazy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:11 am

dont forget melvin mora was as valuable as miggy last year
durham=we ghetto
CameronCrazy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RynMan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:29 am

Yeah in our mock here i took him at 2.4.
I didnt really think about the pick and kicked myself after it, for all of the reasons you guys illuded to about value etc. I think he isnt a early 2nd round pick.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby cody4548 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:41 am

I guess the main reason for drafting him so high, is you know exactly what you're going to get (barring injury). There is something to be said for his consistent numbers over the years and his tireless work ethic. I mean this guy is going to give you everything he's got day in and day out. The same cannot be said for some of the aforementioned. I got him at 4.4 in a 10 teamer and A-Rod, Beltre, and Mora all went before him. I considered myself lucky to get him. There was quite a pitcher run in the 3rd is the only reason he fell so low.
"You have to be a man before you can be a gentleman, and pilgrim you miss on both counts." The Duke
cody4548
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:55 am

Rolen has always been considered an underachiever until last year. I fully expect him to repeat last year's numbers. That's makes him a second round pick.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby LBJackal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:04 am

Rolen's going too high because people remember how valuable he was when A-Rod, Beltre, Mora, Blalock et al weren't also dominating 3B. It was just Rolen and Chavez back then pretty much. Now Rolen has a huge year (well above his norms) and people go crazy over him again. He's not a 1000 OPS guy though. He's a 900 OPS guy who had a great season. A lot of people are going to be disappointed in taking him too early.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby colt4523 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:59 am

If rolen is not a 2nd or 3rd round pick who do you think should be taken in those rounds. I can understand 3b is deep but most people take the best player available for the first couple rounds. Also, many owners figure that a certain player will not make it back to them, so them draft them a little early. You can go on and on about well 3b is deep I will get one later. Ok so I will look to draft a SS in the 2nd or 3rd. Hold on, I can get rollins or fucal later. Maybe I will try second next. Soriano is overrated so I will wait to get a second basemen like utley. Where does this end? Who does everyone think are good second and third round picks?
colt4523
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 83)

Postby zeeko20 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:26 am

colt4523 wrote:If rolen is not a 2nd or 3rd round pick who do you think should be taken in those rounds. I can understand 3b is deep but most people take the best player available for the first couple rounds. Also, many owners figure that a certain player will not make it back to them, so them draft them a little early. You can go on and on about well 3b is deep I will get one later. Ok so I will look to draft a SS in the 2nd or 3rd. Hold on, I can get rollins or fucal later. Maybe I will try second next. Soriano is overrated so I will wait to get a second basemen like utley. Where does this end? Who does everyone think are good second and third round picks?

Great question! I like some of the other third basemen better than Rolen...but who should I be drafting in the 2nd round? Manny? Thome? Ichiro? Ortiz?
My name is zeeko20, and I'm a Jose Reyes-aholic.
[url=http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=800863#800863]Please Rate My Team![/url] :)
zeeko20
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby metsfan05 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:13 am

I'm guessing since most people around here don't draft pitchers in the first round, they would be counting on pitchers dominating the second round. Johnson and Santana are gone after 12 picks, so I guess Prior, Pedro, Sheets, Schmidt, and Schilling would go in the second. Expect Beltre, Teixeira, outfielders like Manny and Abreu who somehow slipped out of the first, Gagne, Crawford, and Cabrera to also go here.

I have Rolen down as my 2.4 pick, and I have no regrets taking him there. If I thought he would last into the third round, I would take him there, but he won't.
metsfan05
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby daweasle » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:12 am

I think another thing that makes arod and rolen top 3B above most others is the incredible lineups around them.

if you put huff on the yanks or cards - he'd have 20 more rbi and 20 more runs - but instead he's stuckl playing between alomar lugo phelps and lee

doesn't really compare to

womack jeter sheffield matsui
OR
walker pujols edmonds and sanders

there aren't many guys who can hit and have those guys around them. (matos roberts tejada and sosa is about the best it gets in baltimore)

otherwise - even beltre is hitting
daweasle
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers