peavy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

peavy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby curious_george_43545 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 am

Fumbler wrote:Hudson is a great pick. I just personally feel that Peavy is the better overall pick of the two because he's more complete. And like i said, the kicker for me is that he plays in such a friendly pitcher's park.

I'm not slamming any of those other pitchers. I'd love to have any of them. It's just that when you factor in alot of different things (intangibles if you will), Peavy seems the better choice in my opinion.

I like Peavy a lot too, I mean he's in my top 10 for pitchers but I like Hudson more.

Atlanta is very pitcher friendly
Best pitching coach in the game
New league hitters have to adjust to him
He doesn't have to pitch to a DH anymore
He's near his hometown
He's in his prime.
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: peavy

Postby IronMarshal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:52 am

CameronCrazy wrote:why is so underestimated this year. he was arguably the best pitcher in the N.L. last year. he did not have the starts or wins to take the cy over rocket though.
last year - 15 W's to 6 L's
1.2 Whip
and 2.27 era

why have you all forgotten about that?

Shhh!!! be quiet will ya?
IronMarshal
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:22 am

According to Shandler, Peavy's ERA should have been around 2.98 in 04. He had one of the highest strand rates among all starters with an 84% strand rate which is ridiculously high and largely due to good luck. He also only gave up 13 homers all season but 9 in the second half.

Most of his value came from his superb ERA which will inevitably go up in 05 unless he can drastically cut down the base runners. Not saying it won't happen but the chances of him coming remotely close to 2.27 ERA is slim to none.

That being said, I have him just outside of top 10 for now. I think he is a tremendous pitcher and he will get better but until I see him do it for 200 innings (only 166 IP in 04), I can't put him up there. I know a number of Cafe'rs like to extrapolate stats to a full season but that is not the most accurate nor reliable way to predict future performance.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rico The Retard » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:23 pm

omg i never said he would be bad, i said he isnt a top 5 pitcher, and fumbler you could say that explanation about almost every top pitcher in the majors right now, thats not a very good explanation to back up peavy, yes once again ill say he is top 10 but hes not top 5
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby IronMarshal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:29 pm

Benson has him ranked tied for third in NL among starting pitchers behind Sheets and Oliver Perez and tied with Schmidt and Clemens. For what that is worth.
IronMarshal
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers