pitchers as 1st 2 picks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

pitchers as 1st 2 picks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pitchers as 1st 2 picks

Postby Eightan » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:42 pm

I was thinking about my drafting strategy in a 12 team rotisserie league, 7x7 categories, hitting= R, HR, RBI, Avg., SB, BB, K
pitching= ERA, W, L, WHIP, SV, K, IP

If i have a late pick, meaning 10 or later in the first round, I thought about picking the two best pitchers available as my first two picks. Assuming Santana has already been taken, that would probably mean Randy Johnson and Jason Schmidt. What do you think about this strategy? Would my hitting be drastically affected? I'm assuming I can get a pretty good outfielder in the 3rd round and a good 1B in the 4th round, realizing that i'm not going to get a good SS or 2B. Even if my hitting is drastically affected, is it still worth it, considering my league has 5 SP positions? What are your thoughts?
you can't live the dream, if you don't play the game
Eightan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:03 pm

I don't see Johnson slipping quite that far which leaves you with Schmidt and perhaps Sheets (if you don't 'need' W!) or Perez (ibid) and Prior if you REALLY stretch it and think that he's back to his '03 form and will throw a lot of CG to keep it out of the hands of the pen. OTOH, depending on which way the first few rounds break, you should be able to have at least someone of the caliber of Crawford/ Abreu/ MRamirez/ Soriano/ Helton/Tejada/ maybe even Bonds still on the board for the taking.

All of whom I'd pick (particularly Helton, if you are using BB as he gets a lot of them AND plays every day and hit .326 away from Coors...yeah, 1B is pretty deep but he's an amazing hitter...he may be gone though...depending on how much deeply the other owners scout) over one of the top-non Schmidt. If the Unit and Schmidt are there and you take both of them, you should have monster pitching but will be scrambling the rest of the draft for big hitters. A lot of the guys w/ pop farther down also strikeout a lot more than the guys at the top of the list and will kill you in K (like Soriano...). It could work out for you though.

I'd rather go for a more balanced approach and have an ace pitcher and a really solid hitter, perhaps looking at OBP or OPS to find some pop AND some BB without as many K to pair with Schmidt? FWIW, the Yahoo scouting blurb today has Schmidt being in excellent shape. Just like everybody else so far!!

FWIW, rotochamps has the top picks ordered Vlad, Santana, Pujols, Beltran, Unit, ARod, Bonds, Abreu, Ramirez, Tejada, Schmidt, Crawford, Sheffield, Sheets. That woudl leave you w/ Tejada and Schmidt. A very nice combo. The Yahoo Orank for our league (using 13x13 scoring...) comes up w/ ARod, Pujols, Vlad, Beltran, Tejada, Soriano, Abreu, Santana, Unit, MRam, Crawford, Bonds which would leave Schmidt on the board and I think that going down a couple to pair him w/ Manny is a good move.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:05 pm

oops, I didn't see it being a 12 team and got rolling but you still have Helton out there w/ both of those projections. Even though Colorado has pretty grim prospects, I'd suggest him to go w/ Schmidt, unless RJ is still on the board, in which case I'd get him and whoever the best hitter is and let someone else have Schmidt. D'oh...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby AKhomebrewer » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:04 pm

Guy picking last in our 14-team league last year tried that, grabbing Pedro and Wood.
Let's just say he didn't compete for the title.
Probably better if you target best pitcher+best available hitter for those two slots. You can always get a decent No. 2 SP a few rounds later.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 6)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:08 pm

I would go with a solid base of a stud hitter and a stud pitcher.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers