Jeter drafted low??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter drafted low???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:25 pm

You're not getting the point, is the #2 SS that much more valuable then the #7(worth losing a better stat player in another position)
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:25 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:Citti, I hope you are not comparing the 1-year wonders of Jack Wilson and Carlos Guillen to Derek Jeter. I'm not saying they are going to suck this year, but it's flat out idiotic to expect them to be better than, or even on the same level as Jeter.

Please explain to me what shortstop gives the same combination of Avg, speed and runs that Jeter has, rounded with decent HRs and RBIs?

Jeter will have slightly less power than guys like Nomar, but his run and steal totals will be up. He is the #2 shortstop. He's the best rounded.

Totally agree!
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:26 pm

Freebird27 wrote:A healthy Nomar is definitely in the running for the #2, but until he shows that he can stay healthy I won't be drafting him that high...or at all for that matter.

I probably wouldnt go Jeter int he 2nd, but if he hit a slump like last season I would be trading for him just like last year 8^)

I agree on the Nomar comment, I just need to see him do it before I put him there.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:39 pm

citti34 wrote:You're not getting the point, is the #2 SS that much more valuable then the #7(worth losing a better stat player in another position)

This depends. There is Tejada, Jeter, Nomar, Young then a wide drop off. So put yourself in my position in my most recent draft. I drafted 4th overall and selected Carlos Beltran. Tejada was selected after that and all SSs remained when it got back to me at 2.9.

So I had the choice of selecting Jeter/Nomar/Young at 2.9 or 3.4. If I didn't take one of them there (a spot many of you is saying is too early) than I would have lost out on all of them because none would have made it back to me at 4.9. I could have also grabbed a 1B, 3B, or OF but the value drop off between 3.4 and 4.9 was far less at any of those positions than it was a SS. I normally don't select pitchers that high and there are no 2Bs valuable enough to take that high.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kidnemisis » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:47 pm

Ok so to say its foolish to take Jeter a round and a half or Young is correct, except I don't know what mocks you're participating in or looking at but Jeter and Young go very close together. Of course Young is very good but the fact is Jeter did slump like crazy with A-Rod doing his adjustment to New York thing. "He did bat .190 game over" is a juvenile way to approach the topic. He will also score more runs this year and get his avg. to .320 +.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:07 pm

The value of Jeter IMO is determined by the fact that he contributes very well in all 5 categories for you.

Last season he was a Top 5 SS in every category and Top 2 in both Runs and HR's.

He's very likely to put up these numbers in 2005.

120 Runs 20 Hr's 75 RBI's 25 SB's and a .315 avg.
That is definite 2nd round fantasy production.

Again I will go out on a limb and say I see very little between Tejada and Jeter in fantasy value come the end of 2005.

Tejada won't contribute in steals, his RBI's will reduce significantly this season. There is also a strong chance his average will be 30 points less than Jeter's.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:36 am

.300+ BA 20+ HR 100+ R 20+ SB (alot of rbi oppurtunities since even the bottom of the yankee lineup gets on base often) and your looking at a top 20 fantasy hitter (regardless of position)

I like Jeter alot this year, I especially like how he has the 'overrated' tag slapped on him in "experienced/hardcore" fantasy circles.

He's almost overrated to the point where he's underrated (i'd take him in a heart beat if he slips to the 3rd)
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby nikku88 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 am

Jeter is maybe the best 5 cat. SS.
I like him for this year, he should avoid that horrible slump from last year and really produce. He's also very durable except when getting running over by crappy catchers.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby fantasyfiend » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:17 am

or breaking his nose diving into the stands for an unreachable flyball
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby BigBobE » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:34 am

There are many examples of classic symptoms of "Jeter Envy" on this thread.

I wonder what Sigmund would think?
BigBobE
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers