Jeter drafted low??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter drafted low???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:45 pm

Amazinz wrote:How is Jeter overrated? Are you guys confusing your Jeter-hate with the guy's production? Fielding doesn't count in the leagues I play in. Jeter is a fantasy stud and you're doing yourself a disservice if you let your emotions convince you otherwise.

I recently took him at 2.9 in the Cafe Challenge because 1) the 2nd player I wanted would be there at 3.4 and 2) Jeter would not make it back to me at 4.9.

I can't understand how people would draft Tejada in the first and then say Jeter is overrated amd isn't worthy of a pick higher than mid-3rd to 4th round. Seriously, who wants a SS that will hit .300 with 120 R, 75 RBI, 20+ HR, 20+ SB. ;-7

Considering he was 5th in average and RBIs amongst SS, I just don't see a 2nd round in him. Of course you don't think he's overrated, you drafted him early, but like a million others.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:50 pm

citti34 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:How is Jeter overrated? Are you guys confusing your Jeter-hate with the guy's production? Fielding doesn't count in the leagues I play in. Jeter is a fantasy stud and you're doing yourself a disservice if you let your emotions convince you otherwise.

I recently took him at 2.9 in the Cafe Challenge because 1) the 2nd player I wanted would be there at 3.4 and 2) Jeter would not make it back to me at 4.9.

I can't understand how people would draft Tejada in the first and then say Jeter is overrated amd isn't worthy of a pick higher than mid-3rd to 4th round. Seriously, who wants a SS that will hit .300 with 120 R, 75 RBI, 20+ HR, 20+ SB. ;-7

Considering he was 5th in average and RBIs amongst SS, I just don't see a 2nd round in him. Of course you don't think he's overrated, you drafted him early, but like a million others.

I drafted him early because I understand his value.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:59 pm

Amazinz wrote:I drafted him early because I understand his value.

We all understand the good SS value, but is Jeter worth taking way ahead of C. Guillen, M. Young, J. Wilson, etc.....
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RAmst23 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:00 pm

If Jeter goes in the late 2nd then lots of other SS have to go with him (Tejada doesn't count in this discussion, he's 1st round).
Jeter will hit around .300, as will Furcal, Edgar, Young, Nomar, and Rollins. This group of 6 occupies the tier right below Tejada, a group which had roughly the same value as each other. Yes Jeter was slightly ahead, but not enough to take him a full round/round and a half earlier.

I believe it's hard to make the argument that there are clear splits from Tejada to Jeter, and then Jeter to the Furcal, Edgar, Young, Nomar, and Rollins. The stats don't differ much between this group. When drafting, just make sure to grab one of the top 7 SS and you'll be set, don't wait for anyone ranked past the top 7.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Dark Knight » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:02 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Hes going in the 2nd and 3rd round but he belongs in the 4th round. Hes very overrated.

Maybe his stats warrant a 4th round pick but he's the 2nd best shorstop in the league and last I checked, shortstop is a crappy pool to choose from. Jeter's position scarcity alone bumps him up to late 2nd, early 3rd in my book.

No Way dude. He's not even close to being good as Nomar or Young. :-t

Same way I feel. I rank the SS pool, 1.Tejada, 2.M.Young, 3.Nomar, 4.Jeter, for fantasy purposes.
Dark Knight
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:03 pm

RAmst23 wrote:If Jeter goes in the late 2nd then lots of other SS have to go with him (Tejada doesn't count in this discussion, he's 1st round).
Jeter will hit around .300, as will Furcal, Edgar, Young, Nomar, and Rollins. This group of 6 occupies the tier right below Tejada, a group which had roughly the same value as each other. Yes Jeter was slightly ahead, but not enough to take him a full round/round and a half earlier.

I believe it's hard to make the argument that there are clear splits from Tejada to Jeter, and then Jeter to the Furcal, Edgar, Young, Nomar, and Rollins. The stats don't differ much between this group. When drafting, just make sure to grab one of the top 7 SS and you'll be set, don't wait for anyone ranked past the top 7.

Exactly
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:07 pm

citti34 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I drafted him early because I understand his value.

We all understand the good SS value, but is Jeter worth taking way ahead of C. Guillen, M. Young, J. Wilson, etc.....

I am not sure what your projections are for Jeter but based on mine he is vastly more valuable than either Guillen or Jack Wilson. I have Jeter as the #2 SS overall and Nomar/Young 3/4.

Regardless of position I have both Tejada and Jeter in the Top 25 hitters for 5x5. This includes my category weightings.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:16 pm

[quote="Amazinz]I am not sure what your projections are for Jeter but based on mine he is vastly more valuable than either Guillen or Jack Wilson. I have Jeter as the #2 SS overall and Nomar/Young 3/4.

Regardless of position I have both Tejada and Jeter in the Top 25 hitters for 5x5. This includes my category weightings.[/quote]
Please define "your" def of vastly? And those players mentioned were based just on averages (all ranked higher in 04) I was just naming a few.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:20 pm

Citti, I hope you are not comparing the 1-year wonders of Jack Wilson and Carlos Guillen to Derek Jeter. I'm not saying they are going to suck this year, but it's flat out idiotic to expect them to be better than, or even on the same level as Jeter.

Please explain to me what shortstop gives the same combination of Avg, speed and runs that Jeter has, rounded with decent HRs and RBIs?

Jeter will have slightly less power than guys like Nomar, but his run and steal totals will be up. He is the #2 shortstop. He's the best rounded.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Freebird27 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:24 pm

A healthy Nomar is definitely in the running for the #2, but until he shows that he can stay healthy I won't be drafting him that high...or at all for that matter.

I probably wouldnt go Jeter int he 2nd, but if he hit a slump like last season I would be trading for him just like last year 8^)
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers