Jeter drafted low??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeter drafted low???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:24 pm

Soriano, Blalock, and Tex bat behind Young. Young has had two good seasons. The back of the Texas lineup is good also, Young drove in 99 last year. Youngs 03 season was pretty good. And he plays in a better hitting ballpark. You can say that hes safer, but that doesn't justify taking him a round and some picks ahead of a player who is almost as safe with a better park. Jeter is overrated as a fantasy player.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:27 pm

There has to be something said they he is getting drafted in rounds 2-3, that has to mean something, I personally would rather have someone else (ss) a lot later. There are great players getting picked after him, and statistically who cares if he does a "little" better than some other underrated (ss).
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:28 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:Soriano, Blalock, and Tex bat behind Young. Young has had two good seasons. The back of the Texas lineup is good also, Young drove in 99 last year. Youngs 03 season was pretty good. And he plays in a better hitting ballpark. You can say that hes safer, but that doesn't justify taking him a round and some picks ahead of a player who is almost as safe with a better park. Jeter is overrated as a fantasy player.

Then we disagree. Jeter was batting .190 after 2 months and still got up to .294. It's highly unlikely he repeats the same type of slump. Had it not been for that, his torrid 2nd half would've had his average among the batting leaders.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:31 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Soriano, Blalock, and Tex bat behind Young. Young has had two good seasons. The back of the Texas lineup is good also, Young drove in 99 last year. Youngs 03 season was pretty good. And he plays in a better hitting ballpark. You can say that hes safer, but that doesn't justify taking him a round and some picks ahead of a player who is almost as safe with a better park. Jeter is overrated as a fantasy player.

Then we disagree. Jeter was batting .190 after 2 months and still got up to .294. It's highly unlikely he repeats the same type of slump. Had it not been for that, his torrid 2nd half would've had his average among the batting leaders.

Lets not do the "if" talk. He did bat .190, game over.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:33 pm

I know he batted .190. I'm illustrating the point that even with that horrible slump, he got his average up around .300 which is incredible. I'm not saying Jeter is lightyears ahead of Young and Nomar. I'm saying ALL shortstops get bumped up in value because the lack of talent after the first 5 or so.

Take it easy.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby citti34 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:34 pm

I agree.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:38 pm

How is Jeter overrated? Are you guys confusing your Jeter-hate with the guy's production? Fielding doesn't count in the leagues I play in. Jeter is a fantasy stud and you're doing yourself a disservice if you let your emotions convince you otherwise.

I recently took him at 2.9 in the Cafe Challenge because 1) the 2nd player I wanted would be there at 3.4 and 2) Jeter would not make it back to me at 4.9.

I can't understand how people would draft Tejada in the first and then say Jeter is overrated amd isn't worthy of a pick higher than mid-3rd to 4th round. Seriously, who wants a SS that will hit .300 with 120 R, 75 RBI, 20+ HR, 20+ SB. ;-7
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:How is Jeter overrated? Are you guys confusing your Jeter-hate with the guy's production? Fielding doesn't count in the leagues I play in. Jeter is a fantasy stud and you're doing yourself a disservice if you let your emotions convince you otherwise.

I recently took him at 2.9 in the Cafe Challenge because 1) the 2nd player I wanted would be there at 3.4 and 2) Jeter would not make it back to me at 4.9.

I can't understand how people would draft Tejada in the first and then say Jeter is overrated amd isn't worthy of a pick higher than mid-3rd to 4th round. Seriously, who wants a SS that will hit .300 with 120 R, 75 RBI, 20+ HR, 20+ SB. ;-7

Thank you.

Obviously there are better players available during the early 3rd, but how many of them play SS? None. Grab Jeter early on, solidify one of the two weakest positions on the field, and fill up on decent outfielders and corner infielders later.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LBJackal » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:42 pm

kingctb27 wrote:
ajgnydc722 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:Hes going in the 2nd and 3rd round but he belongs in the 4th round. Hes very overrated.

Maybe his stats warrant a 4th round pick but he's the 2nd best shorstop in the league and last I checked, shortstop is a crappy pool to choose from. Jeter's position scarcity alone bumps him up to late 2nd, early 3rd in my book.

No Way dude. He's not even close to being good as Nomar or Young. :-t

He's easily ahead of Nomar and Young IMO. Look at what he did last year despite a slow start. He'll rack up the runs, have good HR, SB's, and even RBI for a top of the order middle infielder. And you can bank on a .300+ BA. Nomar will definately take him in the power cats, but not the other 3. I'd consider Jeter in the second round.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers