Anti dumping rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Anti dumping rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anti dumping rules

Postby Subversive » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm in a 16 team keeper league. Last season we had a new owner give up on his season EARLY in the year. I didn't have anything specifically written in the rules prohibiting it, so I allowed it, despite some very angry owners. This year, some people would like to see rules to prevent people from doing this again so early in the season. I was just wondering what, if any, anti-dumping rules your leagues have used and if they worked as intended.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:28 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "dumping". Do you mean the manager dropped his entire roster or did he just abandon his team?
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nikku88 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Usually most leagues have a can't cut list.
You can make rules for that I guess.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Subversive » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Amazinz wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "dumping". Do you mean the manager dropped his entire roster or did he just abandon his team?

He gave up on his team in, like, late April.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:42 pm

There's not much you can do to prevent a player just quiting. It's just one of those things
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Subversive » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Let me be perfectly clear on this. The owner remained active the entire season. He simply traded for the future incredibly early in the season, giving up high priced superstars for young, good value players for 2005. Make sense? A lot of owners would like to see an 'anti dumping date' whereby you can't obviously mortgage the future before that date.
Bah, humbug.
Subversive
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Seems like it would be a pretty tough thing to enforce. This is something you run into in keeper leagues although I've never seen it happen as early as April.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Garry26 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:03 pm

1- He stayed active
2- He didnt drop all his players
3- He traded his stars for prospects early

Thats foolish, but there's nothing wrong with it. Im betting the owners that got angry were the ones that didnt benifit from any of his trades. Obviously there werent many angry owners. Otherwise they could have vetoed his trades.

Vetos are the best way to stop these trades.

However, the owner made a big mistake by trading for prospects so early. Its impossible to know who the good prospects are so early in the season. He should have waited.
I love mock drafts.
Garry26
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 65)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:31 pm

This isn't dumping, he just mortgaged for the future. IF he had dropped all his players it would have been dumping.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby xeifrank » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:54 pm

Nothing wrong with what he did, it might be stupid but it wasn't dumping. How does your league approve/disapprove of trades? Could you as a league veto a dumb trade? That would stop it.

vr

Xei
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next