During a Live Draft what do U have at your side? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

During a Live Draft what do U have at your side?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby roadrunner » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:24 am

live drafts move fast, i totally rely on all the studying i've put in and my short lists, my picks are never dictaded by trends or runs so it is a spontanious process. best player available and avoid picking pitchers early unless it is a roto draft
roadrunner
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nikku88 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:57 am

I might have some info, but as someone said, live drafts can go really fast, so I try to have most of what I am doing in my head.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SHOCKandAWE » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:08 am

Laptop with a good drafting software(Diamond Software) as well as a quick reference book like Shandlers 2005 Forcaster or Henry lee Scouting Report, a few beers, can of skoal, and my cellphone in case my wife wants to yell at me for being all day.
SHOCKandAWE
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pedantic » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:12 am

I like to have a few mock drafts to look at -- in case I need a reminder on a player.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby eftda » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:16 am

Online draft - nothing. Maybe a magazine to read while others pick.

Live draft -
- A crap load of stuff. I bring 3-4 magazines (I take out all the sleepers sections ;-) )
-A list of the top 20 at every position (Out of order*)
- A binder of last years stats
-The News Paper

I bring all that stuff to mess with my opponents. I bring it all so that they become distracted. As for the list of the top 20 that are out of order. If they see I value Griffey over V. Wells and Bill Mueller over Blalock then it may just alter their drafting patterns. I always let them barrow what I have because the more time they spend away from their strategy, then the more mine works. ;-)
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jonnyblack » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:31 am

I have a cold beer (with back ups), my buddies, chicken wings, a file folder (only to intimidate my buddies, i had already played out the draft in my head), a hot waitress (wait, i didn't bring her with me, but does it count if i took her home?????)

For online live drafts, i like to have pine nuts with tobasco and garlic, a large glass of water with a lemon, an easy chair in place of my normal desk chair, a re-allignment with my love for the game of baseball, a cheat sheet for closers, a list of my targetted, non ace, starters, and a list of guys i would take in the last couple of rounds because i think im smarter than everyone else, hah.

It is now draft time, the best time of the year. Good luck everyone.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Postby WittyC » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:38 am

online drafts -- skoal and a cheat sheet
live drafts -- skoal, a cheat sheet and a playboy/swimsuit issue. actually stole that from the Boston SG, but it really can take 1-2 people out of their game almost entirely.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quietstorm » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:43 am

Last year, I used my laptop to create a list of league rosters during the draft. Apparently, it didn't distract me to the point of affecting my draft: I finished first in my league, and secured that place with two weeks left in the season. (The only way I could have falled out of first in the last month of the season was if all my players died in the same week, and the people closest to me in the standings had all their players play flawless ball the rest of the year.)

I used to carry a few lists of players; a list of just batters, just pitchers, a list of each position, and a list of all players ranked together, with projected points for my league.

Now, with my laptop, I just have all my spreadsheets on the laptop, with one or two open. As players are picked, I highlight the row and black it out; I highlight my players with a bright yellow or blue.

I also usually bring a magazine or two, just for quick reference to past stats. This year, I think I'll be lugging along the BP book.
Your wisemen don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick...
quietstorm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers