Pudge-less Rodriguez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pudge-less Rodriguez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pudge-less Rodriguez?

Postby This is the year » Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:52 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=f ... &type=lgns

Does this make anyone more suspicious, or do you think it's really just a new diet, etc.? I wouldn't have thought Pudge one to juice, but he was implicated in Canseco's book, and its somewhat unusual for somebody who's always been on the bigger side to just lose 20 pounds. Just food for thought.
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:00 am

ESPN wrote:No matter what the reason, losing all that weight will benefit Rodriguez this season and likely extend his career.

I'm interested as to why ESPN thinks this? Obviously losing the extra muscle gained from steroids didn't benefit Giambi at all. I'm not very confident in it benefitting him this year.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby This is the year » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:06 am

Being an older catcher, it would probably take some strain off his knees, allowing him to play longer. He hasn't been much of a power hitter in recent memory, so they probably think it wouldn't hurt his numbers too much. But you make a good point, we saw what it did for Giambi...
This is the year
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:08 am

Yeah I see what you're saying...and agree. I guess it will all come down to if he did in fact lose steroid-gained weight, or if he is telling the truth about his diet. If it was from steroids...I don't care who you are, it's not going to benefit you at all.

Haven't a lot of Giambi's problems since steroids been due to the nagging injuries and weak body now that he's not on them? If that's the case...I can't imagine what the already injury-proned Pudge would be like.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby LBJackal » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:08 am

Last year, Vernon Wells had a new diet and came into camp 20 pounds lighter as well... and we know how he fared.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slomo007 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:09 am

LBJackal wrote:Last year, Vernon Wells had a new diet and came into camp 20 pounds lighter as well... and we know how he fared.

Didn't Chipper Jones come in lighter as well?

Maybe that was 2 years ago I'm thinking of.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby kidnemisis » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:25 am

I think this is important because the last catcher that lost a good amount of weight in the offseason was javy lopez in his walk year with the braves. We know how that turned out. Whereas before I thought pudge was slightly ahead of the other top catchers, now i think its a clear edge.
kidnemisis
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Drdobs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:32 am

Yes, I too tend to take this as pretty good news.... He was clearly a little on the "overweight" side before so I think this is really only going to help him. He may lose a LITTLE power but that has been dwindling a bit anyway. The flipside is that this guy COULD start stealing bases again to the tune of 15-20+ which would be a big plus.

I'm thinking he's going to come in at a .315 - 17 - 85 - 15 Sb's this year and I'll take that out of my catcher anyday...
Drdobs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:08 am

I think this is good news for Pudge owners. I seem to remember him slimming down in his walk year with the Rangers. He probably realized that playing in Detroit won't help him hit homers, so he's going for average, doubles, steals, etc. I think the weight loss is a good thing. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby swingaway » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:53 am

to me this means he is either off the juice and lost weight and will underperform or he lost the weight legt and will get better numbers this year.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers