Thoughts on trading. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on trading.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Hawaiian Krush » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:53 am

One of the biggest reasons I enjoy fantasy baseball over football is the fact that a lot more trading goes in on baseball. With football, you usually are going after the same thing, yards and TD's, maybe catches. It makes it difficult to trade. There is no roto football. But the number of categories in baseball help facilitate trading when you can trade from stregnths to address weakness.

I love trading, its part of the fun, and it can have quite a bit of strategy on draft day. If certain categories are over or undervalued, you draft accordingly to trade and better your team.

Now I don't like guys trading just for the sake of trading. But I think there is just as much player analysis in making trades as there is on draft day. Finding that undervalued player and making a move for him for a guy that may be overvalued is similar to making those same conclusions prior to the draft.
You're killing me Smalls!
Hawaiian Krush
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:24 am

I tend to trade very little. The vast majority of drafts I walk away from with a well balanced team that I'm ready to take into battle for the rest of the season (barring injuries and of course using the waiver wire to swap out late round picks and/or busts).

I have had a few teams where the only thing that saved me was a multitude of trades though. :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby swingaway » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:48 am

thanks for giving me insight on how you play fantasy baseball bleach i will make sure to take that into account when i play against you }:-)
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bleach168 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:52 am

swingaway wrote:thanks for giving me insight on how you play fantasy baseball bleach i will make sure to take that into account when i play against you }:-)

Ha! That is only the tip of the iceberg, my friend. :-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 50)

Postby Joe Mauer » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:47 pm

I fall somewhere in the middle on this. Some seasons I trade a lot. Others, I maybe make one or two deals. Throughout the season I evaluate my roster makeup and sometimes I decided I have to go after a move that I am very sure would make my team better. That is the only reason to make trades.

However, in the draft I often make deals. Sometimes with an eye towards this season, sometimes towards future seasons. Like last year in an initial snake draft of a new keeper league I flip flopped first rounders, second rounders and gave away a 5th rounder for a 10th rounder in order to move up from the #11 spot in a 12 team league to the #4 spot and get Pujols. This move was meant for future season success. I ended up just missing the playoffs.

This season I already had I-ROD on my team (as one of my 5 keepers) and I drafted Joe Mauer when he was the last available catcher that was worth much with the intent to shop I-ROD. Well, another owner really wanted Mauer so I delt him and my fourth and seventh round picks for Boston's closer and his third rounder, sixth rounder and fifteenth rounder.

I always say, only trade when you think it makes you a better team and never turn away a trade that makes you better. ;-D

Pierz,Castro,Tulo,Espinosa,Gyorko,Goldschmidt,Encarna,Howard,Carter,Cespedes,Marte,Soriano,Brown,Ludwick,Smoak
Strasbg,King F,Harvey,Scherzer,Teheran,Street,Jansen,Hernandez
BA 5,HR 9.5,R 4,RBI 6,SB 2,ERA 12,H+S 8,K 11,W 7.5,WHIP 11,TOT 76 pt 3rd
Joe Mauer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 29)
Location: Standing outside the Metrodome singing "We're going to win Twins, We're going to score...."

Postby CubsFan7724 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:56 pm

I usually tend to not trade as much unless its for improvement. Some people just do it for fun, but I like to go and improve my team. Like last year, I was pretty down in saves, so I traded Carpenter for Fransico Cordero, who along with Lidge bumped me up to #1 in saves, and leading me to first place. Of course my pick of Vlad Guerrero helped also :-D
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DK » Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:31 pm

I love trading, mainly because of the negotiations. I am as good as anyone out there in negotiating a trade, and I never make bad trades (with exceptions to injury). I specialize in trading guys after hot starts and usually convince the other guy it's going to last.

I'm not afraid to not do a deal, which I think is an important asset.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers