Hafner versus Morneau

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
nettles3Ball-star wrote:
Yoda wrote:
nettles3Ball-star wrote:
Tribe-Fan wrote:
nettles3Ball-star wrote:Any word as to whether Hafner is naturally that big and cut? I'm becoming wary of the superhero type physiques.

I read today actually that Haffner discovered something amazing this off-season, vegtables, and that his altered diet had him losing weight. Here is the blurb from today's Cleveland Plain Dealer.

"Pass the veggies:

Hafner discovered something unusual last season - vegetables.

"In spring training, I talked to our nutritionist," said Hafner, "and I started eating better"

The conversation opened his eyes.

"I used to be on what I called my caveman diet," said Hafner. "I'd go to all those steak buffets. But when I started eating vegetables, I lost about five or 10 pounds. I'd order a side of or broccli and my friends would go crazy"

I wonder if they sit around thinking this stuff up. " Hey Haff, here is a good one, tell the media you discovered you like veggies now and that you lost weight because of it. Or maybe tell them you changed your workout but are really only down 5 pounds, but that didn't work to well with Giambi last year"

I was suspect of Haffner before I read this news today. I hate being cynical like that but the guy looked like Road Warrior Hawk for petes sake.

Edited to add the article quote

Thanks Tribe Fan, Good find. Am I the only one concerned about this? Going off the roids certainly doesn't seem to help hitters.

A pretty good debate deteriorated to this...

IMHO, a player coming off roids might influence his perceived value over another player, thus affecting where and whether he is drafted. So sorry that it pained you to read what I guess you perceive as a sophomoric attempt to gather more information. It was only intended to broaden the debate, by introducing another possible facet. I'll be sure to run my future posts by you since someone obviously appointed you as the ultimate judge and arbiter.

How do you broaden a debate by speculating that someone was juicing? If we go by Caminiti and Canseco's claim, then we would need to look at over 50% of current players. It is a ridiculous idea to even bring steroids discussion into evaluating players because you have no freaking idea who was on it and who was not on it. 5-10 lbs is not a lot ot lose or gain for an athlete who weighs over 240 lbs. I weigh 150 lbs and lost 10 lbs in 2 months by exercising and dieting.

No need to run posts by me. By you posting messages like this, you automatically kill your credibility so what do I care?

Wow. Yoda, what a turn. Once a calm, cool Jedi now not much more than an argumentative, presumptuos burro. What a shame.

Hafner's herculean physique just raises questions for me in this climate of steroid uncertainty. I'm not indicting him I am just attempting to garner all information I see as relevant to the success of my fantasy season. Unlike the Yanks front office I want to know the truth before adding someone to my team. That's it. I hope he's clean. But, like others in the Cafe the unknown impact of steroids testing on ballplayers is a concern.

That's it. I have no more time to spare for cantankerous grannies in men's clothing. Ooops! Don't mean to talk behind your back since you won't be reading this.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:24 pm

nettles3Ball-star wrote:
That's it. I have no more time to spare for cantankerous grannies in men's clothing. Ooops! Don't mean to talk behind your back since you won't be reading this.

Is it just me or do people like you generally resort to personal insults when you have no way to win a debate?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:26 pm

oops I forgot... heard Jerome Williams lost 5-10 lbs. So did CC Sabathia. They must be off the juice too!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:23 am

;-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:39 pm

I'm glad it turnede out Pronk is naturally that strong as I also traded for him at the beginning of the year - and he's carrying me to the title.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Niffoc4 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:04 am

In a series of trades in April I ended up going from Hafner to Morneau...luckilyI now have David Ortiz...
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Sunspot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:04 am

I traded Brad Wilkerson for Hafner earlier in the year, lead me to the title too. A lot of people talk about Morneu's upside , but why can't we talk about Pronks upside too. I don't think we've seen anything yet!
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:54 am

Sunspot wrote:I traded Brad Wilkerson for Hafner earlier in the year, lead me to the title too. A lot of people talk about Morneu's upside , but why can't we talk about Pronks upside too. I don't think we've seen anything yet!
What do you expect? Cause I think this is as good as it gets for Hafner.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Sunspot » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:12 am

Hafner was not having a very good year at first, I think it was maybe for the first 3rd of the season, we all thought he was a bust, but then he turned it on and finished with good stats. Imagine is he didn't start so slow. What would his numbers look like then?!!!!!
Sunspot
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:27 am

Sunspot wrote:Hafner was not having a very good year at first, I think it was maybe for the first 3rd of the season, we all thought he was a bust, but then he turned it on and finished with good stats. Imagine is he didn't start so slow. What would his numbers look like then?!!!!!
Imagine he didn't catch fire the last month. I'm actually a little surprised by the power. I had him down for .300 BA, 100 RBI, 90 R, 25 HR and 3 SB.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers