Hafner versus Morneau - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hafner versus Morneau

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby hybrid » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:11 pm

Hey you were comparing them in one way or another, I was just pointing out their obvious difference. And yes I agree it obviously can be risky when you are extrapolating stats, not all minor leaguers who produce there go on to in the bigs.

Hafner has had only one more season then Morneau in the majors, so I really don't think of him as being any type of an established player. For all you know that could be Hafner's best year of his career.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:49 pm

hybrid wrote:Hey you were comparing them in one way or another, I was just pointing out their obvious difference. And yes I agree it obviously can be risky when you are extrapolating stats, not all minor leaguers who produce there go on to in the bigs.

Hafner has had only one more season then Morneau in the majors, so I really don't think of him as being any type of an established player. For all you know that could be Hafner's best year of his career.

Well, that is really good to know. Anyone could have had his career year in 04. Therefore, let's just throw out an entire season of stats. But let's double Morneau's numbers and use that as his projection for the following season. Because obviously that is a better way to make projections than using actual numbers. Thank you for helping me understand. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Wow, I thought you would be better then just to jump on people. Hafner is not at all an established player, but for some reason you are treating him like he is. That's the point I was making, but evidently you like to just criticize.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:13 am

hybrid wrote:Wow, I thought you would be better then just to jump on people. Hafner is not at all an established player, but for some reason you are treating him like he is. That's the point I was making, but evidently you like to just criticize.

Sorry for jumping on you. My point is that Hafner is more established than Morneau.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:18 am

I like Hafner this year and Morneau in a keeper league, I have them right next to each other on my 1B rankings....
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Jackie Treehorn » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:26 am

I think they are very comparable in value, and therefore, not worth arguin over!!! :-D Both guys have the potential to hit 40 HR's. And I have them both on my team!!!
"How's the smut business, Jackie?"
Jackie Treehorn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby nikku88 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:03 am

I like Hafner better for this year.
I really want to see Morneau for more than half a year.
Let's not forget Kevin Mass. :-o
Really I think Morneau's going to be good, but I think he will still take a bit longer until he's a total stud.
My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.
nikku88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WittyC » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:49 am

Everyone talks about Hafner as though he's an established vet who's been tearing up the league for years! Honestly, he had one good season, and it would be a strech to say that Cleveland has a good lineup. Plus, he had surgery in the offseason on his elbow (removing bone chips or something, but surgery is rarely a bonus).

I certainly wouldn't value Hafner over Morneau, but I could see Hafner's value being better since Morneau seems to be going earlier. If I had to pick one even up, though, Morneau would be my guy -- keeper or non!
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby nettles3Ball-star » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:54 am

Any word as to whether Hafner is naturally that big and cut? I'm becoming wary of the superhero type physiques.
nettles3Ball-star
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:13 am

WittyC wrote:Everyone talks about Hafner as though he's an established vet who's been tearing up the league for years! Honestly, he had one good season, and it would be a strech to say that Cleveland has a good lineup. Plus, he had surgery in the offseason on his elbow (removing bone chips or something, but surgery is rarely a bonus).

I certainly wouldn't value Hafner over Morneau, but I could see Hafner's value being better since Morneau seems to be going earlier. If I had to pick one even up, though, Morneau would be my guy -- keeper or non!

Unfortunately, even though Hafner tore up the minors, he never had the opportunity to play in TEX. 2003 was supposed to be his coming out party after getting traded to CLE and finally given the opportunity to play but he hurt his wrist. Therefore, the season was more or less lost. You are totally right in that he is not an established vet. However, he is supposed to have this type of power and he would easily have hit 30 HRs if he didn't miss the last 7 games of the season. That would effectively have put him at 30-100-.300 Stud category. Morneau's upside is just as high if not higher but right now, for the 05 season, Hafner will likely outperform Morneau in virtually every category provided Hafner doesn't miss any time.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers