Tim Hudson vs. Carlos Zambrano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Tim Hudson vs. Carlos Zambrano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Kingctb27 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:35 pm

I go with Zambrano. He seems to be going before Hudson in most drafts. I like his value.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:47 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
Dmville wrote:It probably has something to do with ATL being very good at recognizing pitching talent. Not a huge Hudson fan, but if ATL wentout and got him, that boosts my opinion of him a bit.

That being said, I like Zam better.

I think Hudson will be great in ATL. That said, I'd still take Zambrano over him because of the better K rate.

Hudson is going to be ridiculously efficient, and I wouldn't be suprised if he ended up a Cy young contender. Just don't expect 200 k's.

That he has been, and that he will continue to be ;-D Timmy eats up innings like mad, and I think the NL will be a nice change for him as he'll be foreign to those guys for a while.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Ram is god » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:47 pm

either way u go ur in good shape. both clubs have probably the best and 2nd best pitching coaches in basebal. ad zambrano can hopefully relax a lil more this year hoping that kid k and prior arre healthy :-o
A Ram is god
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:48 pm

Lofunzo wrote:FWIW, the positional rankings that I compiled here listed Hudson as #9 and Zambrano at #17. 8-o That is the average of 20 rankers.
The question is why? I don't see any reason Zambrano should be ranked lower and especially 8 spots lower.

btw Lo when are the rankings coming out?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:54 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:FWIW, the positional rankings that I compiled here listed Hudson as #9 and Zambrano at #17. 8-o That is the average of 20 rankers.
The question is why? I don't see any reason Zambrano should be ranked lower and especially 8 spots lower.

Yeah I've been wondering that for a while... no pressure but I thought you were working on getting them done after the new year started :-o

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:57 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:

Yeah I've been wondering that for a while... no pressure but I thought you were working on getting them done after the new year started :-o

Well, there was the problem of many people either being late or changing players and then there was the final calculations. Now, I'm just waiting on Arlo. :-o
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby looptid » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:49 pm

One area of caution would be the workload Zambrano had last season. He was one of only three pitchers in all of baseball to average 112 pitches per start (Livan Hernandez and Jason Schmidt being the other two).

On a side note, I tend to strongly disagree when people use innings pitched to discuss pitchers' workloads. Better pitchers get more batters out, and an inning pitched is just three batters retired (better pitchers throw fewer pitches per inning). Pitch counts are much more imporant, and specifically, games in which pitchers push further and further past the 100 pitch mark, when the risk for injury increases dramatically.

Zambrano was also third in the majors in Pitcher Abuse Points, again behind Hernandez and Schmidt.

Maybe Zambrano's big frame will allow him to endure such a monsterous workload. However, with the Cubs bullpen situation, I wouldn't look for Baker (who has a strong track record of getting a lot of use out of his starting pitchers), to ease up on Zambrano's share of the team's innings. If Zambrano is going to continue to throw 200+ innings a season, you would hope for the sake of longevity that he'd become a little more efficient.

I think if Zambrano doesn't get worn out or injured, he'll best Hudson in fantasy worth, but his past and expected workload is something to consider.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DannyMyron89 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:44 pm

im goign with hudson, i can see him taking home the cy young this year, im not saying he will but i can see it...
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:16 pm

LBJackal wrote:Here's my projections for each of them:

Zam....: 15-9, 3.09 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 197 K's
Hudson: 16-9, 3.11 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 152 K's

So yeah, they're very close to each other in everything but K's. Hudson is more of a sure thing though, and Zam might start allowing HR's which Wrigley is notorious for. Other than that I see no reason that Zam shoudln't be taken before Hudson.
One, Wrigley is only home run friendly when the wind is blowing out, and two, Zambrano is a sinkerballer so most of the batted balls are ground balls and line drives. Anyways, go with Zambrano, he'll have similar stats in the other cats except for Ks, where he will kill Hudson.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:23 am

I take Zambrano. Hudson is still a good sp, but nobody seems to care his K rate has been dropping fast for years, all the way down to a scary 4.9. Only his extreme g/f ratio is masking this. What if his K rate drops further, or he starts giving up fewer grounders? Problems with the era could happen.

CUBS, Wrigley had a 138 hr index last year, and 120 for the past 3 years.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers