Pierre at 2.08 - too early? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pierre at 2.08 - too early?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:30 pm

Hows my Crawfod in the 1st pick lookin now? }:-)

lol :-b
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:32 pm

Trouble is, there aren't a lot of guys who can get you a bunch of steals without hurting your BA.

Some of the big steal guys will hurt you. Dave Roberts, Pods, Cameron. The guys that get the steals and BA are not only few, but they are steady performers as well. Pierre, Crawford, Ichiro, Beltran and Abreu. I think that's about it for the guys that you can count on for 30 SB and .300 BA.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:34 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:
Cleveland Steamers wrote:Cabrera for sure. He could have a 40HR year this year. Pierre is a good pick but in most drafts, he lasts well into the third round or later.

Apparently not in a weekly head-to-head 5x5 system...

I would seriously chalk this one up as experience for everyone else. I guess a few steals could get you a bunch of wins every week, so getting people who steal and can do a few other things are important enough. :,-(

Any player that steals around 50 bags is pretty valuable in H2H because they give you the chance to win the category every week. But you made the right choice IMO. I think this is the year that Cabrera solidifies himself as a 1st round pick for years to come. ;-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:39 pm

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Hows my Crawfod in the 1st pick lookin now? }:-)

Crawford is a first rounder - but he shouldn't go ahead of Ichiro, no way.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Hows my Crawfod in the 1st pick lookin now? }:-)

Crawford is a first rounder - but he shouldn't go ahead of Ichiro, no way.

I think thats a matter of opinion - like I said, I am discounting BA just a bit - right or wrong I'll live with my decision. When you are discounting BA, then Crawford is the easy choice. He'll put up slightly fewer runs, .03-.04 BA less, and maybe slightly fewer RBIs, but he makes up for it with 10-15 more HRs, and 20+ more SBs. I do understand your argument mook - but I feel in a h2h style like we are in that crawford needs to be given the nod.

I almost went Crawford/Ichiro with my first 2 picks - wouldnt that have been interesting. }:-)
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:52 pm

They are pretty close and only time will tell.

Something that I forgot to mention in the last thread on this topic. Everyone is predicting more power from Crawford - you just posted 10-15 more. Assuming that Ichiro hits his standard 10 HR, that means 20-25 for Crawford. How does anyone come up with that?

I know that Crawdaddy's not skinny and there is potential. But his max in the minors and majors is 11. In 3,230 AB in the minors and majors, he has hit a total of 35 HR. If you are generous and say that he gets 600 AB in a season, that's an average of 6.5 HR per season.

I would say that the potential is there to hit HR if he had ever done it before, but he has never hit HR at any stage. Maybe he will burst out this year but there is no evidence to suggest that he will.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:08 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I took him at 2.10.

I didn't post in here on purpose so that I would not influence your decision. Not that crazy about him but 3 straight years of 40+ sb and 2 years in a row of 100 RBI and .300+ BA.

Strictly a 3 cat guy but he fills in those cats much better and makes me feel better about taking the HR meatheads later on in the draft.

100 RBI for Pierre this year is quite the aggressive forecast, don't you think?? :-o :-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:12 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

I didn't post in here on purpose so that I would not influence your decision. Not that crazy about him but 3 straight years of 40+ sb and 2 years in a row of 100 RBI and .300+ BA.

Strictly a 3 cat guy but he fills in those cats much better and makes me feel better about taking the HR meatheads later on in the draft.

100 RBI for Pierre this year is quite the aggressive forecast, don't you think?? :-o :-D

oops Runs not RBI
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:13 pm

mookie - the increase in power is simply due to the natural correlation between age and power. At his age (23), players typically begin to fill out more and become more physical, so its logical to expect him to follow that trend as well.

That and I read an artical that said he was eating a bunch of spinach this offseason. ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:20 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

oops Runs not RBI

I know. Just breaking your chops.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers