ZIG's Weekly Toss Up Part 4 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

ZIG's Weekly Toss Up Part 4

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rlee » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:48 pm

I've got Hoffman rated as the #8 closer and Kolb is #14. I would much rather have Hoffman than Kolb. Kolb Ks are ridiculously low and even though he is now under Mazzone's tutelage, he had an ERA over 5 in the 2nd half of last year. Anyone that closes and Ks so few, makes me very nervous. :-o
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:01 pm

I'm going with Kolb. Reason being: The Braves offense this year is decent: just enough to get you some wins.

Now, check out that pitching staff. Sure, behind Smoltz/Huddy, you're scratching your head. Go ahead and check out Hampton and Thomson's second half splits. Hampton will finally put it all together this year, his third lucky year away from Coors/with Leo.

Kolb's K rate might be down, but that's a good thing. He's been talked to about it, and he's said that he's not wasting time, throwing strikes, making hitters pound it into the ground. When his K rate is down, that's a good thing, because it means that hitters are chasing his sinker, and slamming it into the ground.

The lack of XBH's last year was pretty amazing. Kolb doesn't have the fatigue that Smoltz does, I think he'll have to be helped out, but we have a very decent bullpen this year, and a couple rookies will help out with that. (Watch out for Roman Colon)

Horacio Ramirez is a big question mark, because, even with his ERA last year, all his other numbers were bad, suggesting that he was getting lucky, leaving runners stranded. But, I was talking it over with someone, and we came up with that Horacio's SLG against was just .376. Meaning, his pitching style is to not give into the hitter, not to serve up fat pitches, but rather, make the hitter work for their pitch, and that's how he was successful. He gave up walks because he didn't give in to the hitter, but, he has impeccable control, and Bobby and Leo say that it can be even better if he takes a little off his fastball. I see good things in his future..

That great pitching staff, somewhat weak lineup (I actually think Mondesi will have a decent year... you should see some of his Spring Training quotes, can't question his enthusiasm), Kolb is going to get a ton of Save opps. 50 wouldn't be out of the question IMO.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby looptid » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:19 pm

brandnew wrote:Kolb's K rate might be down, but that's a good thing. He's been talked to about it, and he's said that he's not wasting time, throwing strikes, making hitters pound it into the ground. When his K rate is down, that's a good thing, because it means that hitters are chasing his sinker, and slamming it into the ground.

I don't think a lack of K/9 speaks to how much a pitcher works within the strike zone, even for sinker ballers or knuckle ballers. BB/9 seems like a better choice for that.

2004 BB/9
Hoffman - 1.32
Kolb - 2.35

Both are very good, but Hoffman issues fewer free passes than Kolb does, so I don't see how Kolb can be said to have done a better job of throwing strikes than Hoffman. The difference would be batters have a more difficult time putting Hoffman's pitches in play, as evidenced by thier K/9's.

2004 K/9
Hoffman - 8.73
Kolb - 3.30

The counter arguement would be that Kolb, being a sinker baller, allows fewer hits on the balls he allows to be put in play than Hoffman, but the difference isn't really all that great:

2004 Batting Average Against on Balls in Play
Kolb - .239
Hoffman - .245

That difference isn't enough to make up for the fact that Hoffman only allowed hitters to put the ball in play 69.86% of the time last season compared to Kolb who allowed 82.20% of hitters to put the ball in play (basically Hoffman's BAA was .211 while Kolb's was .234).
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 3:27 am

<pre>Image
Image</Pre>
Lets Go Pad' Res'
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby KolbSaves » Thu May 19, 2005 3:33 am

Could your sig be any bigger please?
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 3:37 am

KolbSaves wrote:Could your sig be any bigger please?

I know .. I just sent an email to admin asking why it is so large ..
Hopefully I'll get an awnser soon :-] ;-D

How about that Danny Kolb guy eh?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu May 19, 2005 3:40 am

Ok good ...

Looks like they are working on it ;-7
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KolbSaves » Thu May 19, 2005 4:11 am

wrveres wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:Could your sig be any bigger please?

I know .. I just sent an email to admin asking why it is so large ..
Hopefully I'll get an awnser soon :-] ;-D

How about that Danny Kolb guy eh?

I know, he's giving me a bad name.

*rim shot*
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu May 19, 2005 8:09 am

wrveres wrote:<pre>Image
Image</Pre>
Lets Go Pad' Res'

wrveres subtle as ever. :-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers