Moderator: Baseball Moderators

You don't have to go home...

Postby DieHardCubbie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:26 pm

AOL news

but you can't stay here...

Woman Overstays Hospital Stay by a Year
Says She's Healthy, But Has Nowhere to Go
By BRIAN SKOLOFF, AP

(Feb. 17) - More than a year after Sarah Nome was deemed healthy and given her discharge papers, the 82-year-old woman stubbornly refuses to leave her hospital bed.

Nome admits there is no reason she should be racking up unpaid medical bills - which have now topped $1 million - but says she has nowhere else to turn.

Now Kaiser Permanente's San Rafael Medical Center in California is suing her for the cost of her stay and trying to show her the door.

"The thing is, I have no medical problem. I've been here more than a year, never had any medication, never had any treatment, never had a fever, have a perfect heart, blood pressure is like a teenager," Nome said in a telephone interview from the hospital north of San Francisco. "It isn't that I'm not ready to go. I just have nowhere to go."

Exasperated hospital officials persuaded a judge to approve her eviction. But because Nome is bedridden and cannot walk, they have no intention of wheeling her onto the street. Instead, they hope the ruling encourages her to pack her bags.

"We're really not interested in her money," Kaiser attorney Stanley Watson said. "We just want her cooperation."

Nome's troubles began, her daughter Jane Sands says, in 2002 when she broke both her legs while living alone. After several operations, Nome could no longer care for herself and was admitted to the first of several nursing homes.

The most recent one, Nome claims, sent her to the hospital against her will. Hospital officials say she was admitted for a weeklong psychiatric evaluation, was deemed to be in good mental health, was then ordered released.

But because she is suing the nursing homes where she lived before she was hospitalized, Nome and her daughter claim she has no choice but to stay put. Nome is suing the last home she lived in, Greenbrae Care Center, for sending her to the hospital.

Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County, where Nome has spent her entire life.

That puts Kaiser in a difficult position, given Nome's bedridden state.

"If a patient were ambulatory, you could simply discharge them and say, `Have a nice day,"' Watson said. "But I can assure you that we don't plan on having the sheriff come in and physically remove her and put her on the street."

Greenbrae will not take Nome back because she is suing the nursing home, said Bob Peirce, chief operating officer of Ocadian Hospitals and Care Centers, which runs the center.

"She's suing us, and we obviously feel very strongly that she has no case," Peirce said.

Anthony Wright, executive director of the health care advocacy group Health Access California, said Nome's situation highlights a larger, nationwide problem.

"This issue is becoming more and more contentious because ... we don't have a long-term care policy in this country, so there is no set way that we take care of seniors who need ongoing care," he said.

Meanwhile, Nome remains in her hospital gown. She said the doctors and nurses "couldn't be finer," but she has missed the news since her television and newspaper privileges were taken away. "I think Bush might still be president," she quipped.

She passes the time by reading in bed and gazing out the window.

Talk about abuse of the health care system... :-o
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LBJackal » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:47 pm

So people are dying because this perfectly healthy person won't leave the hospital bed and room she's taking up? And she has a daughter who presumably has a house? She's lucky they aren't interested in the $1M she owes, because I certainly would be. And she has the nerve to sue them...

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:50 pm

Watson said hospital officials have tried to find a suitable home for Nome, but Nome and her daughter insist on staying in Marin County, where Nome has spent her entire life.

This hag should be kicked to the curb. Offical punishment should be her daughter having to wheel her to 1000 different residences where granny has to say, "I am a selfish, ratty pigeon who doesn't want to veture outside of the county borders and it is costing you, my neighbor and taxpayer over a million dollars a year. It does not bother me that this is at your expense, even though there are several viable options for me to spare you this unwarranted cost. Thank you for throwing money down the drain that is my dried-out old #%(*."

Man, i hate people.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:52 pm

OUT OF THE HOSPITAL YOU OLD BAG!!

I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:30 pm

acsguitar wrote:OUT OF THE HOSPITAL YOU OLD BAG!!

i spit pop all over my computer :-D
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:00 pm

I won't even begin to berate that woman (because I'd probably never stop) but at the very least, she could be out and living with her daughter. Sad that people take advantage like that. :-t
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:27 pm

:-t :-t they should just throw her in jail then since she does not want to leave the hospital.... i imagine she would find a house to stay in then.....
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:31 pm

acsguitar wrote:OUT OF THE HOSPITAL YOU OLD BAG!!

That is the way they should handle it. ;-D
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby bleach168 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:35 pm

I think everyone is at fault here. Kaiser should have not waited a year to do something, the old folks home should take her back if she drops the lawsuit, and that old lady should know better than to overstay her welcome.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:36 pm

i hear rubber hoses are back in vogue.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero