Beltran = Overrated - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Beltran = Overrated

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:20 pm

Spoken like a true Yankee fan who's arrogance knows no boundries. Why don't you check out how lefties fare at Sheas and then get back to us.
What are you guys doing?
"Putting on the Foil Coach!"
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:23 pm

tool069c wrote:If he signed with the yankees, you'de be praising him right now, and debating whether he or arod is #1. Either way arod and beltran are still behind pujols and vlad.

Yankees fan? Wtf does this have to do with that? You think I'm bashing the Mets here? You guys are idiots if that's what you think.

Beltran is a great player, how many times do you want me to say it. However, his situation is what makes me question whether he is top 3 pick material. If he was with the Yankees, obviously his value is better in a lineup consisting of A-Rod, Sheff, Jeter, etc. and the short porch he has in right field.

The same would be if he signed with Houston, Boston, Anaheim or any other powerhouse.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:46 pm

The Kavorka wrote:Spoken like a true Yankee fan who's arrogance knows no boundries. Why don't you check out how lefties fare at Sheas and then get back to us.

Wow a bold post for a T-Ball player...he is definitly overrated....Abreu has much better stats...CF isn't a high priority position..... And if he was in Yankee stadium he would be way more valuable.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Rico The Retard » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:48 pm

The Kavorka wrote:Spoken like a true Yankee fan who's arrogance knows no boundries. Why don't you check out how lefties fare at Sheas and then get back to us.

uh oh watch out
fgfdsgdsfdasfd

"Hey honey, ya think KFC's still open"-Will Ferrell

Mark my words: Oliver Perez will be 2005 NL Cy Young Winner
Rico The Retard
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah, I can tell you and all 3 of your posts know alot about me and my boundries...
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kentx12 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:55 pm

I still think Beltran is at least the 2nd pick in a draft if not 1st. If you look at his numbers while in K.C. they werent that bad and the cast he has around him in N.Y. is at least that good.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:59 pm

kentx12 wrote:I still think Beltran is at least the 2nd pick in a draft if not 1st. If you look at his numbers while in K.C. they werent that bad and the cast he has around him in N.Y. is at least that good.

The things I'm looking at are the facts that he's only hit over 30 homers once, barely breaks 100 RBIs each year, and is entering a difficult market to succeed right away in. Many people get off to bad starts in New York (Clemens, Mussina, Giambi, A-Rod for the Yankees and even more for the Mets -- Alomar, Glavine, Vaughn, Cameron, etc.)

I still rank him up high but that's only because the 2nd tier of players beyond the top 4 is significantly weaker.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:04 pm

acsguitar wrote:

Wow a bold post for a T-Ball player...he is definitly overrated....Abreu has much better stats...CF isn't a high priority position..... And if he was in Yankee stadium he would be way more valuable.

Bold? I don't think so.

We agree to disagree. I'd take Beltran over Abreu any day of the week.
What are you guys doing?
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Kavorka » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:15 pm

ajgnydc722 wrote:

Yeah, I can tell you and all 3 of your posts know alot about me and my boundries...

I'll be here all year ajg. I'll find out soon enough about your boundries. Since I got your attention can you give me your expert Yankee opinion on Juice Boy Giambi this year? Projections?
Last edited by The Kavorka on Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What are you guys doing?
The Kavorka
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby tlef316 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:16 pm

i own beltran in our keeper league, and id obviously rather have him in yankee stadium(in fact, a picture of him in a yankee cap was my avatar for about a year) However, the more i think about it, him being a met is not that bad. He's gonna be hitting behind reyes and matsui, who should be very capable table setters if healthy. He'll have solid protection behind him in piazza, floyd and david wright.

Again, its not murderers row, but its certainly not worth lowering his value substantially. Shea is far from a bandbox, but he's gonna get his 30 HR and 100 RBI IMO. Im pretty sure that willy randolph is gonan turn him loose and let him run, so he should be a lock for 35-40 SB's again. He'll score 100 runs. None of these predictions are improbable. so the only question is his batting average. 2003, he hit .307. last year, he hit .267. If you slpit the diference, he hits .287, give or take a few points. Nothing about shea suggests this wont happen.

So, now we have a fairly durable player who is pretty much a lock to hit 25-30 HR, score and drive in 100 runs and steal 40 bases. Combine that with a very respectable .280 average, and its hard to see how you can justify not ranking him in the top 3 picks, maybe the top pick. Personally, i like pujols as # 1, but i've waivered on 2-4. If vlad was still stealing, it would be a no-brainer, but he isnt. If A-rod still had SS eligibility or could guarentee his numbers from texas, he'd be a consensus top 2 pick. However, none of those things are locks, so beltran's potential puts him at # 2 IMO.

Before the abreu-ites come in here, i dont believe he is going to repeat last year. i see his numbers falling around his 2003 stats, which leaves him out of this discussion.
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers