Any Tips For This Unique League? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any Tips For This Unique League?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any Tips For This Unique League?

Postby SilentReader » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:26 pm

im in a league this year where the commish wanted to make it more interesting rather than just drafting players regular.i guess it's going to be like a regular draft,except he's assigning dollar values to every player and there will be a salary cap,so we have to keep track of the dollar values of each player we take and make sure to take the best players we can,but not go over the cap.the scoring will be h2h at yahoo and it'll be a live in person draft.anyone been in any leagues like this,or ahve opinions on this type of league/tips for drafting?
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby foulballstrike3 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:33 pm

I was in a football league like this for Culpepper's 2nd year. I got Culpepper and Moss early because they were cheap, and then got some overpriced RBs at the end of the draft. So, I would definitely jump on the best deals right away, and the guys that people are shying away from because of the high prices, you can probably get later. I dunno, just depends on how he assigns dollar values. I would hope he would use an external source, otherwise, he may assign the values based on his own likings. You need to get a feel for it. Take a stud w/ your first pick, and then if people are going away from high priced guys in the next rounds, start taking some guys that are obviously underpriced. This is actually a pretty fun way of doing a draft, assuming the commish isn't making up his own prices.
foulballstrike3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:46 pm

Where is the Commish getting his dollar values? I hope not from himself, as he could then assign his own sleepers rather low values and cheat.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby SilentReader » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:11 pm

i think the commish is making his own dollar values,but is getting them off of a site but then just tweaking them.he told me a few weeks ago how it's going to be a lot of work making them and stuff.
i don't post much,but i'm always lurking...

best fantasy games site = SandboxPlus.com!!
SilentReader
College Coach
College Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby bleach168 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Smells fishy to me.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Arlo » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:27 pm

SilentReader wrote:i think the commish is making his own dollar values,but is getting them off of a site but then just tweaking them.he told me a few weeks ago how it's going to be a lot of work making them and stuff.

I imagine that would indeed take quite a bit of effort. The best way to go might be to take dollar values earned last season and adjust them for playing time. Even then, though, you'll most likely have a number of fairly obviously over- or undervalued players who might cause problems in the draft (not to mention the difficulty of assigning a fair cap value to rookies).

It's an interesting system, and certainly can be fun, but it truly does take a lot of effort to make it work smoothly. Good luck to your commish!
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Baseball Leftovers