Draft Strategy: Offensive Juggernaut or Pitching Prowess? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy: Offensive Juggernaut or Pitching Prowess?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Juhlz » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:59 pm

bolkonsky wrote:Agree with the Newb and with the off. juggernaut theory...last year in a league with old friends I got Sheets and C.Zambrano in rounds 10 and 12, respectively. That rarely happens with good bats.

hmmm, I got Edmonds in the 10th, M Cabrera in the 11th, Abreu in the 5th, and Ichiro in the 6th rounds last season. - 12 team 5x5 snake. I wouldn't say rarely.
Juhlz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby meataxe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:50 pm

Balance is the key to winning in fantasy baseball, however, hitting is less volatile (regarding injuries, etc).

I also think that there's a common misconception to avoid drafting OF early on because there's more of them around. That's true, but you also have to remember the fact that there's more OF positions to be filled on a roster as well. All things considered, if there's a 1B, 3B or an OF available in the second round with equal projections, I'd take the OF for the simple fact that it allows flexibility later on in my draft should I find a 1B or 3B for good value. I know there's the utility spot, and I know I could use the additional 1B or 3B as trade bait, but I don't like drafting with the intention of trading later - yahoo public leagues are notoriously lousy arenas for trading.

It's also key to get a stud SP to anchor your rotation. In a 5x5 league, on average you'll have to come 3rd or 4th in EVERY category, and without a stud SP, it's very difficult to do well in ERA and WHIP. They're also the most difficult categories to catch up in as well.
meataxe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby meataxe » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:53 pm

Juhlz wrote:
bolkonsky wrote:Agree with the Newb and with the off. juggernaut theory...last year in a league with old friends I got Sheets and C.Zambrano in rounds 10 and 12, respectively. That rarely happens with good bats.

hmmm, I got Edmonds in the 10th, M Cabrera in the 11th, Abreu in the 5th, and Ichiro in the 6th rounds last season. - 12 team 5x5 snake. I wouldn't say rarely.

I would say rarely. You make it sound like it's easy to do that. Edmonds and Cabrera were gambles that paid off, it doesn't always work that way.
meataxe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby metfan8955 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:00 pm

i like to get as many big hitters as i can in the first 2-4 rounds, i have found its easier to do well with a collection of mid-level pitchers and stud hitters than the other way around. also i agree w/ everyone else saying that pitchers are much riskier (halladay, zito, pettite), and it might just be me but it seems like more pitchers emerge out of nowhere during the season than hitters.
2005 NL MVP= CARLOS BELTRAN
2005 NL EAST CHAMPS= NEW YORK METS
metfan8955
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pomplona's finest » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:01 pm

Obviously you can't completely disregard hitting or pitching, maintaining balance is always important. But, if I had to value one over the other, I'd say go after batting first. Early round pitchers are often risky picks, it hurts to draft an early bust. I like to draft a stud pitcher, a few solid mid-rounders, and then go after those late-round breakout candidates at SP.
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]

AKA IRON CHEF

Member #5 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
pomplona's finest
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers