Draft Strategy: Offensive Juggernaut or Pitching Prowess? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy: Offensive Juggernaut or Pitching Prowess?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy: Offensive Juggernaut or Pitching Prowess?

Postby redsoxdoubledigits » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:20 pm

Hey guys, i'm just tryin to get some input on what the different strategies are out there for drafting, not necessarily by player, more by position. Where do i want to spend my first pick? What should I have by round 7?
redsoxdoubledigits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

well

Postby DannyMyron89 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:22 pm

well it depends where you land the first round but pitchers arent nearly as reliable as hitters are...just some food for thought.
how did colon win the cy young??

the world is comming to an end...woody paige has a Hall of Fame vote
DannyMyron89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby redsoxdoubledigits » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:24 pm

another question. for consideration during the draft...what positions are easier to pick up solid points at during the season if my draft prospects don't come through?
redsoxdoubledigits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FF Newb but Lovin it » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:32 pm

1)The very helpful advice I got from these guys last year was for the first 3-4 picks, to grab the best available player. Then fill in your roster from that point. I was in first place the whole season and finished 20 games ahead of anyone else. So I think it worked.

2)In all of the fantasy sports I do, I do not let others control my drafting. If someone starts to make a run on a position..chances are you already missed out on the top 5 in the spot...I will go for the top pick in another position, and look for some good value later in the draft to fill in that position that had an early "run" on it.

3) Make sure you have a Solid #1 and #2 SP.......complete your infield and outfield......then I look to fill the rest of my SP's. Then I go for closers, and then look for some good upside at ulitity spots.

Again....this strategy worked very well for me in a long established league. I think me being a FLB rookie surprised a lot of people in the league.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!!!
FF Newb but Lovin it
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DaQ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:35 pm

I'll BUMP this because I'm interested in this as well.

I want to see what other put for your first question, but I'd have to assume OF's are easier to find if you are looking for replacements - there's just so many of them!
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm

I think drafting a stronger offensive or pitcher heavy team is risky. Yes you can win with it but a balanced team is the best way to go unless you have obvious flaws in a pts league where certain players are weighted much more heavliy than others. Every year most teams get hit buy the injury bug and if your team is built around hitting and the injury bug happens to be on your offense then you are really hurting because not only was your pitching a little weak but now your offense is a little also because of the injuries. If you have a balanced team then you can compensate for injuries because you are strong on both sides of the ball.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 358)

Postby bolkonsky » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:37 pm

Agree with the Newb and with the off. juggernaut theory...last year in a league with old friends I got Sheets and C.Zambrano in rounds 10 and 12, respectively. That rarely happens with good bats.
bolkonsky
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Melo255 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:39 pm

You can always find acceptable starters on the waiver wire. Big time hitters not so much.
Melo255
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby citti34 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:56 pm

As far as hitting goes, OFs are very available throughout the season. This is a hard question: 1) there are more pitchers available than any other position. I think you have to draft the best player because that becomes the difference of trading for what you need when injuries occur.
citti34
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:20 pm

Based on draft position I would go this way in my drafts this year.

1. 2B/SS-Only Soriano or Tejada - lets asume I get one.
2. SP/IB
3. 1B/3B
4. C/SS
5. 3B/SS/OF/SP
6. OF/SP
7. OF/SP/C

If I could go
1. Soriano
2. Prior
3. Teixiera
4. Nomar
5. CHavez, Blalock or Wright
6. Mulder, Podsednik or G. Anderson
7. Damon, Swisher, Finley or Pudge
Also, look at taking Giambi cheap.

Thats just me......unless I can get high end SPs I usually go offense early and often.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers