Short Term or Long Term Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Short Term or Long Term Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Short Term or Long Term Strategy?

Postby DaQ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:01 pm

In the league I am in, we are having a Minors Draft right after our initial draft of a dynasty league. The commish sent out a draft guide and this topic was involved. Now before you tell me Felix Hernandez or Delmon Young is the next LeBron James of baseball (the two most popular names getting discussed), there is a catch:

Any player who did not get drafted in the initial draft can be picked here.

In other words, if any player, already in the Majors or still in the Minors isn't drafted in the initial draft, they are up for grabs here. At the end of 2005, any players that are still in the Minors I keep (up to 3 at the most), I lose a pick in the following year's Minor League draft. Also, once I move a player from the Minor League squad, I can't send him back down (even if is still a true "Minor Leaguer").

The reason this is important is becaues if I draft an MLB player in the Minors Draft, I can store him there until I need to call him up, if someone gets injured. Grabbing the MLB players in this will help me short-term (like this year). Grabbing actual Minor Leaguers will help me in the future.

Now I happen to have the #1 pick in this Minor League draft. I already know what couple of Minor Leaguers I'm considering, so I don't need help there. But should I draft a top prospect who might play this year or grab an MLB player that lasted through 350 picks, but can be brought up if a starter gets injured? (I could also just use the waiver wire, but these guys could be better than them). If I draft a Minor Leaguer, I'll lose a pick in next year's Minor LEague draft, starting with the highest (3 rounds total). If I draft an MLB player, I may win now but my Minor League system won't be great). At the most, I can have 3 players in my league's "Minors".

P.S. I know most of the owners in my league's usernames (they'll all from FBC), so telling me Mo Vaughn will hit 40 HR's this year won't work. :-b . That's also why I don't want players names getting thrown out here though.
Last edited by DaQ on Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:39 pm

seems like a pretty deep league. how many teams are there and how many bench players do you have?

i think i would go with a top prospect. just guessing, but after 350 players being drafted, i dont think there are going to be any potential impact major leaguers available. its hard to pick a player for depth reasons because you have no idea which one of your starters will get injured. and even then, there is still the possibility that there will be someone on waivers or available via trade who presents a better option that your minor league backup. i think, especially with the number one pick, you have to go with a prospect.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby DaQ » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:45 pm

BUMP...thanks J_D_McNugent ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:50 pm

I think I'd also have to go with a prospect.....
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Return to Baseball Leftovers